• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Larger front brakes

Splangj

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
My 69 RR has the Willwood front disc conversion I installed years ago. I’m pretty sure they’re 10.75 rotors. There’s plenty of room between the caliper and 15” rim. My 69 Dart I just sold had the 73 up 12” brakes the last owner installed, on 15” steel wheels. Does anyone know of a brake kit that fits my original drum spindle that’s 12 or maybe 13” rotors? I can’t help but notice that most calipers are tall, usually at least an inch over the rotor. I have manual brakes, with a Willwood master that has a 7/8” bore. It stops ok, but nothing like the Dart, which was also manuAl with a aftermarket master, not sure of the bore. Thanks for any help!

It seems like the its pretty tough to beat the factory 11.75 disc brake setup which is the way I would lean towards. This is the setup I have on my 69 Charger with a 15/16 manual brake master cylinder I also have the 11 inch rear brakes with a 7/8 wheel cylinder and it stops great and clears my 15 inch wheels.

the factory 11.75 disc brake setup
Before the influx of aftermarket,many articles were written on using the 11.75'' from a Chrysler Cordoba.
Not All had them but they were optional along with 11'' rear drums. Sounds like your Dart was using them.

With the bigger disc breaks on my dart, it used the 73 up LCAs I believe. The front end ended up being wider than the rear. Probably good for handling, but I thought looked very funky.

On my stock drum spindle willwood makes a 14” kit but you’ll need at least 18”wheel. Would have to dig for part number but you could call them.

I saw Summit sells a Willwood kit with a hair over 12” rotor that says it’ll fit under a 15” rim. They offer both a 4 or 6 piston caliper. it looks like it’s got everything except for the lines. Is there a noticeable difference in stopping power from 4 to 6 piston calipers?

Auto Transport Service
Back