• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Latching Switch Headlights?

dodge68charger

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Just Wondering If It’s Possible To Wire The Headlights To a Push Button Latching Switch?

Im Doing a Custom Dash In My Roadrunner With An AAW Wiring Harness And Wanted To Use Some Of Those Etched Switches From Billet Automotive Buttons.

Thanks

A switch is a switch. BUT, the light switch controls the driving lights too so unless you can find a switch with two positions the only way would be to use two switches.

I would wire relays in for the headlites and then you just control the low amp relay coil with any switch you want. I have my headlites on relays but I just use the factory headlite switch to control my relays. Ron

yes you can with a relay, however will need to set two switches ( then two relays at least ), one for parkings circuit ( which will feed also the wheel dimmer function if you will use it, for cluster lights ) then another one for headlights. You could in fact use just one relay into the green wire for headlights and still keep the floor dimmer switch and won't need any other relay. Any relay is able to handle that load and floor dimmer switch is a rough switch to also handle the loads sucked by the headlights even being halogens.

We tipically use dual relays, one for low beams and another one for high beams just because tipically everybody install these into the engine bay after all the old, dusty, rusty, dirty contacts and switches and these are separated into a dual circuit, but one relay could be also used before the dimmer swith to handle both circuits... as far contacts are clean and dimmer floor switch is also in good conditions to assure a good power path. I have my relays just right after the floor dimmer switch into the cab, before the bulkhead terminals, and I'm using halogens and everything is perfect with them.

Last edited:
unless there is somekind of dual stage switch in a single unit, able to be set as a off... 1st on... 2nd on ( keeping previous stage on ), and get back to first on, then off

Just Wondering If It’s Possible To Wire The Headlights To a Push Button Latching Switch?

Im Doing a Custom Dash In My Roadrunner With An AAW Wiring Harness And Wanted To Use Some Of Those Etched Switches From Billet Automotive Buttons.

Thanks
Had to dig through the FAQ on the website. Rated 5 Amp max, 16&19mm size are SPDT configuration, 22&28mm are DPST configuration.
Sounds like you can get them as Momentary Contact or Latching.

So the switch would have to be triggering a relay for the headlight power. Is the switch power going to be the main power to the dimmer switch?

On a 4-light system like you have ...
12v to the dash switch
dash switch to a) low beam relay(s)
and b) floor high beam switch
from floor high beam switch to high beam relay(s)

And keep in mind you want fuses between the 12 volt source and the relays as well as in the line to the switch. And yes, that means if your lights don't work you have to check two fuses.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back