• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later 4WD 727 linkage for 66 coronet

2237G

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
To try and make a long story short, I’m trying to connect the transmission linkage in my 66 coronet. Previous owner dropped in an ~1987ish LA360 and short tail shaft 727 from a 1 ton. I think it was a divorced transfer case 4wd configuration because it’s got a fixed yoke out the back. Originally the coronet was a column shift
C65C3620-647C-42C4-89EB-3293305E8C9C.jpeg
car with a 318 poly and I think with a 904. I’ve got two different linkages and am not sure which is which, but even then both seem like they’re going to need some modification, but I don’t know which one would be best to even start with.

Does anyone know if the pivot bracket for the linkage on the truck 727’s is different from early or later B body transmissions or what the linkage is supposed to look like? The two linkages I’ve got both seem to want to run directly into the torsion bar so I’m little puzzled on where to start.

Side note: if anyone can say for certain a slip joint drive shaft (because of the two flanges from the 4wd 727 & rear diff) won’t work in a B body let me know, because my plan is to get a custom driveshaft made with a center slip joint. Haven’t checked my angles yet, but the length is only 64 & 5/8. Figure a custom drive shaft is cheaper than rebuilding the 727 to swap the tail shaft and have to get a new driveshaft anyways.

Thanks for the help.

Fixed yoke on the back would be 1974 or older 4wd. My advice would be get the right transmission to fit the car. Bastard child's always come back to bite you.

You know, I never even considered it’s a different transmission on a newer block. Would a 74 or older potentially have a lockup converter? I’ve got the kickdown linkage still attached.

I agree with you in doing it right, but I’m just trying to make this 360/727 combo work since it’s already installed and let’s me drive it around while I build the 383 I’ve got sitting in the corner. I’ll ditch the 727 when I move over the the 383 and convert over to a manual trans. So, I’m fine with cobbling this together for now. Here’s a couple photos I took right after I got the car.
0F8BBA0E-57D3-445A-8DA2-C0FD8D05366F.jpeg

4EE0473C-9DF8-4D70-A509-DB0A58DB1F1F.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back