• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later 727 in '64 B-body-What OEM driveshaft to use?

Al K

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
OK guys;it's looking like I'll have to replace the trans in the '64.:yes: The cost to rebuild it would rival the cost of a good aftermarket unit and I was planning on going to a later style unit anyway. My question: What driveshaft should I look for,as far as an OEM unit? It's got a 489 c.s. with stock(7260?) yoke in there now,and I'll probably just run a matching yoke on the back of the trans-for now. I'll upgrade to bigger yokes/u-joints later;I just want to try to drive this girl THIS YEAR!!!!!!! As always-THANK YOU!

Don't throw away your original trans.sell it to buy the parts you'll need! The cableshift Big Block cores are getting hard to find! Also try not to use a drive shaftwith the big weight on the front.the length should measure apx.52"center to center of ujoint. You need at least 11/2"out ot the tailshaft.hope this gets you going!

sorry, but i think you can build a much stronger trans for less $$$ than a (not as strong)new unit costs ... just did mine a few months ago ...

Well,what I was considering was a TCI Super Streetfighter,or an equivalent. I've got a good(at least I hope it's good!) 727 case here that I could get rebuilt,or just buy an aftermarket piece for around the same $$. I haven't been inside a TF in quite a while;I'm confident I could re-do one,but would prefer a pro do it,plus there's the time factor. I really want to drive this bloody car!!! This year! Now!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Oh,Joey,or any of the Mods:somehow I have two threads on this(senior moment:rolling:),so could you cats delete the other one(with no responses),please? It would be appreciated by this senile ol' dumb ***;thanks.

Thanks for the info,guys;I was curious as to what shafts(from other year "B"'s) would work as a bolt-in unit. Also;would the original cross-member work,or do I need to look for a later-year piece to match the later-style tailshaft?

Well,what I was considering was a TCI Super Streetfighter,or an equivalent. I've got a good(at least I hope it's good!) 727 case here that I could get rebuilt,or just buy an aftermarket piece for around the same $$. I haven't been inside a TF in quite a while;I'm confident I could re-do one,but would prefer a pro do it,plus there's the time factor. I really want to drive this bloody car!!! This year! Now!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Oh,Joey,or any of the Mods:somehow I have two threads on this(senior moment:rolling:),so could you cats delete the other one(with no responses),please? It would be appreciated by this senile ol' dumb ***;thanks.

Thanks for the info,guys;I was curious as to what shafts(from other year "B"'s) would work as a bolt-in unit. Also;would the original cross-member work,or do I need to look for a later-year piece to match the later-style tailshaft?

stay away from TCI a shop I worked for years back did warranty work for them I wasn't impressed at all
I would look into A&A or CPR
just my .02

CROSSMEMBER: Yes but you will need a different mount. Schaumaker makes a poly mount that is made for the 62-65 B Body cars putting in a 66-newer trans. I have one in my 65 Coronet

TRANS: I would also stay away from TCI. Have seen/heard ALOT of bad stuff about them. Get an A&A, Rick is awesome and they only do Mopar stuff.

I believe the cost to rebuilt yours should be cheaper than buying a new trans.Why go to all that work and added money to change?.In burton on s.saginaw street thete is a transmission shop that everyone buys parts from go talk to them.I'm sure someone that works or they know someone that rebuilds them cheaper than anyone else.They sell all the parts for rebuilting trans.

Last edited:
AL K, get a hold of a guy in the Fowlerville /Howell area, his name is Terry Thurman. he builds transmissions. Yes get a hold of Schaumaker on the mount and also get ahold of Imperial Servise out of Frankenbuth Mi.

Hows the Block. he do you have a extra water pump housing and oil pan?

Guys;thanks for the advice. I haven't checked this thread in a while. Well,I'm getting the trans that's in there rebuilt-for now-just to get on the road. A guy near me does transmissions on the side;he's got experience,has done other trans work for me and friends,and... he's had '63 and '64 Dodge B-bodies in the past. He know them(old TF's) and is putting this one together with good parts.

Now,there's still a good later case(standard,non-"b&t" style) unit in the garage that will get some serious hardware to back up the next mill-based on a very nice 440 block I got from Mopar Ed(thanks!)-if the funding will allow it. Found out that my (adopted) daughter from my first marriage is getting a divorce,so Dad will be helping her out. There's three grandkids involved as well. Priorities,indeed.

Auto Transport Service
Back