• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lead substitute

pjm8047

Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
Im add lead substitute in my gas at every fill up in my 71 roadrunner 383. I was wondering if I have to add lead substitute to my gas or if i car run it without it and run it with just the enthonl additive. the engine has 34,000 miles never been pulled out.

basically the marketed "lead substitutes" don't work and there isn't any real substitute for tetra ethyl lead. ethanol is a non-lubricant and lead was a valve seat lubricant.

Yeah thats what I thought. I add it at every fill up. I was just wonder what year chrysler switched over to unleaded gas?

i use cd-2 lead sub and its almost done. I cant find it anywhere. Whats a good replacement?

i use cd-2 lead sub and its almost done. I cant find it anywhere. Whats a good replacement?

Thats good stuff!!! I always get it at Advance Autoparts. Last time i needed it they didnt hace any in stock, so i ordered a case from them

I used to buy the CD-2 lead sub at the Farm and Fleet store.

Snake-oil in a can. Just put hard exhaust seats the the heads, and install chrome stem valves. You probably have spent more than the cost of the job in additives already.

Last edited:
I run broquet fuel catalyst and just regular unleaded fuel. Never had any trouble. Fuel catalyst means you don't need to add lead also means you can advance the timing a bit. Ethanol is only meant for rental cars.

Get a set of 906's done with hardened seats. You will be money ahead in the long run. Maybe even a set of 452's for the wreaking yard.

74-75ishh??????? Cant remember

I really don't know what year, But the block in my car is the original (73) but i found my heads are 1975, Ive been thinking being the guy that rebuilt this maybe that is the reason for the heads being swapped.. Im just guessing...

Auto Transport Service
Back