• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf spring front brackets

gtx6970

Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Are the front brackets different between Dodge and Plymouth body styles.

1966 or 67 B bodies specifically

68 /69/70 Dodge are 1" longer than Plymouth. Not sure on 67/66

Last edited:
Any brackets avail to move the leaf spring 1" forward ?

Im testing a theory

Is there even an inch of clearance to work with in front of the spring eye on a Plymouth???

If your dealing with a Plymouth then you will have to drill your own. As noted above, I don't know how much is possible, but leaf springs with the small front eye, such as the hemi-440 springs would help.

You could get a couple rear frame rail repair pieces and install them were you want them.
Safe T cap used to sell those sections , I'm sure others do also.

Im testing a theory the driveshaft is too short.
Want to move the rear axle forward one inch and see if it makes a change.
It had a bad vibration in the driveline and Ive had the driveshaft rebalanced twice and it took about 80% out of it. I can live with it as is. Shop said shaft is too short for the car
But want to see if moving it forward makes any difference.

The car in question
I have over 3 inches from tire to wheel lip.
Same measurement from leaf spring center bolt to frame bracket

20230423_173945.jpg

20230423_173958.jpg

My other car is just over 2 inches same locations

20230423_174130.jpg

20230423_174143.jpg

When I bought ss springs for my 62, i bought the "superstock spring hangers" that I supposedly needed.
Turns out, my 62 with the rear moved BACK an Inch didn't need em. So I drilled the hangers where I wanted them. This is how they ended up.

20200303_111544.jpg

I

I would suggest drilling a hole one inch ahead of the hole there.
Now that Ive seen where they are compared to the other car

Thats my plan. pull them off a just drill new holes

If you have a vibration after you do the new forward holes check if rear trans bushing. If you need the remove/install I can loan it to you.

If the driveshaft spline engagement has been too short and the yoke wobbling, there’s a good chance the bushing has been taking a beating.

I agree with dadsbee, after seeing the pictures it looks like Dodge spring hangers on the front. Makes me question what your shackles and shackle mounts look like. My experience is that the Dodge has the shackle mount hole over an inch further rearward in the frame than the Plymouth. If you have stock length springs moved rearward over an inch how well are the shackles working? Or have those holes been moved?

Without knowing the history of the car, what springs were on it and what's on there now its hard to determine what happened. If someone in the past installed S/S springs, they have a shorter front segment and would have required longer brackets. Then if you installed stock springs without changing the brackets you'd have moved the axle back - which it certainly looks like. A quick indicator would be a very steep angle on the rear hangers - as well as a driveshaft that looks to be too short.

If your wheel is set good in the wheel house I would get a longer drive shaft.
You say the shop that did the balance job thinks it's to short why didn't they cut you a new tube ?
Just curious.
And yes that tail shaft bushing probably needs to come out.

Auto Transport Service
Back