• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf spring help?

Phantom440

Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope you’re doing well!
‘72 Coronet, 8 1/4 rear.
I’m trying to get the rear and leaf springs out for wagon leaves and 8 3/4, and I’ve managed to remove the rear shackles and disconnect the shocks. Working my way forward, I get to the front leaf spring bolts, and they ain’t moving. I think it’s a 15/16 nut facing toward the outside of the car, and what looks like a smaller diameter nut toward the center. I put a breaker bar on the outer nut, and even stood on it (and I’m about 215lbs) and it didn’t make a lick of difference. I blasted it with Liquid Wrench about an hour before I got to that area, and nothing. Am I doing it wrong? Does the inner nut (closer to center of car) come off first and then I bang the bolt out outward? There doesn’t seem to be enough room to do that.
Also, I found out someone had half welded a nut on to secure the Driver’s side shock at the bottom. Really glad I found that out now, as this is to be my wedding car. :)
Anyway, any help to try and get the front of these springs out will be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

PS- anyone in the south AL area want a B-body 8 1/4 rear for free?

it seems that the bolt is seized inside the bushing , you may need to sawzall the bolt out. if thats what I'm thinking won't come off.
on a lot of leaf spring eye bolts seized onto the inner sleeve of bushing, hell to get off .
either cut bolt off from inside the shackle or go crazy and melt rubber with torch and make a stink and a mess .good luck

Can you get the 4 nuts off the front spring hangers to drop the whole thing? Might be easier than dealing with a frozen bolt on the vehicle.

Thank you! :)
I will try to remove the four bolts holding the spring hangers off first- and if those are a PITA, I’ll go the Sawzall/torch route.
This board and you guys are the best. Seriously. :)

When’s the wedding? You might have time!! Oxy-acetylene & burn out the frt bushing.

OH . and when you have the old bushing out , the steel shell is still in the leaf spring eye . needs to be pressed out or zip gun or torched(watch out)
you can clean the spring eye out after with a wire brush our emery cloth. put the new bushings in the freezer,
then press them in when still frozen , it will make it easier

OH . and when you have the old bushing out , the steel shell is still in the leaf spring eye . needs to be pressed out or zip gun or torched(watch out)
you can clean the spring eye out after with a wire brush our emery cloth. put the new bushings in the freezer,
then press them in when still frozen , it will make it easier
Hopefully his new springs have the front bushings pre-installed....! My XHDs did. Otherwise you're right he's in for a fun time..

and of course brake grease on the bolts , and i would not use urethane bushings they get sneaky and need to lube often

Thanks guys! Got all four of the spring hanger bolts out on one side, 3 out of the other- one’s being a mother to get out. Top on the driver’s side. The other top one on the driver’s side wanted to be like its sister and rounded off instead of coming loose. 5 minutes with a cutoff wheel on my drill and it wasn’t a problem. Just need a new cut off wheel to get that last bolt off. Again, I’d be a sweaty, cussing mess if it weren’t for your help. Sometime in the future, if you see a snot-green ‘72 Coronet at Carlisle or something, come say hi! I’ll try and bring a cooler of beer with me! :)

Thanks guys! Got all four of the spring hanger bolts out on one side, 3 out of the other- one’s being a mother to get out. Top on the driver’s side. The other top one on the driver’s side wanted to be like its sister and rounded off instead of coming loose. 5 minutes with a cutoff wheel on my drill and it wasn’t a problem. Just need a new cut off wheel to get that last bolt off. Again, I’d be a sweaty, cussing mess if it weren’t for your help. Sometime in the future, if you see a snot-green ‘72 Coronet at Carlisle or something, come say hi! I’ll try and bring a cooler of beer with me! :)
Coolness. Snot green! All mopar! (Baby-poop or puke green are gm&ford colors)

Oh- the wedding is March of 2020, so I’ve got some time. The plan is a 440/A833/8.75 all wrapped up in an uglyass 4-door. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back