• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring shackles

1970GTX

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
So I started to replace the bushings in my leaf springs and to my dismay it looks like a prev. owner has installed some homemade shackles. The bolts used are a sloppy fit into my new PST bushings. Can someone get me the measurement between the shackle bolts on center of stock shackles, and if someone knows the correct diameter of the bolts it would be very helpful. Car is a '70 GTX, stock springs, 8 3/4. Thanks in advance.

we offer replacement shackles if you are interested. You can call Kevin at ext 366 he is the sales manager, he will be able to help you.

Thanks
James

I have an unrestored 70 Road Runner, with the performance axle package, 8 3/4", 3.55 (Extra leaf springs from stock).

Distance between bolts on center is 3 1/2".

Someone did the homemade shackles because the studs on the shackles broke when taken apart. Old bolts were rusted to stud, want to guess how I could know this? LOL

Someone did the homemade shackles because the studs on the shackles broke when taken apart. Old bolts were rusted to stud, want to guess how I could know this? LOL

Well I think that could be the case and also to raise the back end because the holes on these shacles are 4 1/2" on center

I have an unrestored 70 Road Runner, with the performance axle package, 8 3/4", 3.55 (Extra leaf springs from stock).

Distance between bolts on center is 3 1/2".

Sorry 1970GTX, I realize I used a poor and confusing choice of words. My suspension is totally stock; it is the Hemi suspension. What I meant to say was that there are extra leaf springs from a standard axle.

Sorry for any confusion...

Sorry 1970GTX, I realize I used a poor and confusing choice of words. My suspension is totally stock; it is the Hemi suspension. What I meant to say was that there are extra leaf springs from a standard axle.

Sorry for any confusion...
no problem I appreciate the help.

http://http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rearshackles.htmlthe factory shackles didnt use bolts.just replace them with ones from pst or some other site.

I plan to however if the bolts on replacement shackles are 3 1/2 inches apart, I stand to lose 1" of rear ride height which i'm not going to be happy with. I like the stance the car has now. DSCN3644.jpg

i like the stance too 1970GTX. btw, i have the same problem as you. prev owner put e body shackles on my 69 RR. i remember a post i did about this prob some time ago.

yes it does but it's not in the budget for this year. Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back