• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring Sliders Install - Experienced Advice Please

I agree the spring will move further forward and less rearward than you would think.
Doug
I agree there though when the spring is compressed, the rearward movement can be a good bit.

Has any users noted how far forward the rear eye of the spring moves forward?
Also, what would be an ideal “safe amount” in, space in front of the rear spring eye for travel?
Does the spring arc more under power than hanging at rest and if so, how much? Which I know is kind of a loaded question since the amount of power vs the amount of spring resistance is a variable different on every car.

Here's a video that made me want sliders. I'm not an experienced racer, and I have the Calvert split mono leaf springs, but seeing this made sense to me:

Anyone have any A to B data that their performance improved over having sliders vs not having them? With no other changes but adding sliders.

Anyone have any A to B data that their performance improved over having sliders vs not having them? With no other changes but adding sliders.
I look forward to any replies with great interest!
634722-0c034fe47af0a7ca73296e6a834169c8.gif

Sorry for the long post, but it's therapeutic and I need help:realcrazy:
I already made my rear suspension layout decision when I was getting a myriad of upgrades to my Roadrunner, at least I thought so.
I was "absolutely certain" that I was going to the RMS or GERST 4 link, but at the last minute "the forum" convinced me to go with a leaf springs based rear suspension and I have no complaints. It certainly looks nice.. I wish I could give a first hand account from a performance standpoint.
It's a crying shame that I took this picture of my newly installed sliders on August 28th of 2020:
Screenshot_20231020_225749_Photos.jpg

in the shop my Roadrunner spent several months in, having most of the list in my signature installed, and I got it out literally at the beginning of Cruisin the Coast in early October that year. The "shameful" part is in all that time that has passed I haven't brought it to the track one time, but I was considering it the Wednesday before Cruisin the Coast that just ended. I was concerned about breaking something and not having it for CtC, my one vacation I allow myself each year, so I waited, and was going to go the Wednesday of CtC. It threw a rod 2 days before, Monday night of CtC week...
I can't report any problems just driving under a variety of road conditions. I have some new noises in the rear going over bumps and less than smooth roads, but honestly I don't know yet what part(s) are making noise, there are a few suspects, and it hadn't bothered me enough to make inspection a priority.
I will be watching for any replies!
bart eating popcorn.gif

I used to run sliders on my 64, prior to switching to ladder bars and prior to that I ran the shackles. The reason that I went to the sliders is that I was getting extreme separation on launch and my shackles were running out of swing. The sliders allowed more travel but my 60’s were still not what I was after. The ladder bars did the trick for me. In hindsight, the split mono’s, sliders and cal tracs would have worked had I ungraded the rear shocks to good good good shocks. I was running the dble adjustable QA1’s and it wouldn’t hold the separation.
The sliders, split mono’s and cal tracs ended up going under my Dart when I built that car. The Dart so far has been street driven and what I did was replace the aluminum bushings in the front eyelet to poly urethane ones. The bang when it shifted into drive was like a sludge hammer with the aluminum bushings, the urethane fixed that. So the answer to your question from my perspective is that the sliders will allow you more travel for sure, performance wise, you won’t lose anything.

Sliders under my Dart.
IMG_9806.jpeg

Ron Rhodes has one of the fastest leaf spring cars in the country (albeit in a Camaro). He has stated he has never seen an improvement going from shackles to sliders. Has been 1.03 to the 60 ft.!

Auto Transport Service
Back