• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring ?

SGTPaul

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
As I’m dissembling my leaf springs for my 68 Charger R/t for rebuilding, I need to ask the questions if the springs are ok. I ask this for two reasons.

1st when I flip the springs upside down (arch up) and measure from the stack bolt point on the spring to the floor below I get 7” on the left and 6 3/4” on the rights. I would guess these dimensions would be the same?

2nd as I take the springs apart the arches in the springs seem very different as to where the gaps are. This is my 1st leaf spring rebuild so I don’t know if this is normal or not. Pics below to show what I have.

Right spring:
2013 04 suspension 012.JPG2013 04 suspension 013.JPG2013 04 suspension 014.JPG

Left spring:
2013 04 suspension 015.JPG2013 04 suspension 016.JPG2013 04 suspension 017.JPG

Right spring is on the bottom on the next two pics:
2013 04 suspension 019.JPG2013 04 suspension 020.JPG

So are my leaf springs ok or what?

Hey sarge, glad to see your making progress. I'll measure mine tomorrow if you don't get any info. I looked at rebuilding mine, then I looked at pricing for new from Rosevillemoparts and price of a rebuild kit. New looks pretty good to me, but it is satisfying using as many original parts as possible. let you know tomorrow....

The springs are different because they have to handle loads differently. When accelerating, the car torques to the right. This is why the right spring has an extra leaf and is different. Don't worry about 1/4" difference. As long as the car is no more off than that 1/4", you're fine.

The springs are different because they have to handle loads differently. When accelerating, the car torques to the right. This is why the right spring has an extra leaf and is different. Don't worry about 1/4" difference. As long as the car is no more off than that 1/4", you're fine.

OK thanks. I understand why the springs are different / and the torque application to the right spring. However, in my mind I would think the dimension I measured on the right leaf would be the same or larger (more arch in the spring?) on the right compared to the left based on the torque on the spring. Maybe I’m over thinking this….

I would think exactly the opposite. They WERE probably the same when new. Over time, since the car does torque that way, the right spring is probably worn more than the left. It would probably not hurt to have them re-arched while you have them apart. I would not do it without having heat applied or it will not last very long.

+1 for re-arching. Just had mine done at a local blacksmith, he got me a full 2 inches super happy with how they turned out.

IMO the difference in cost between new and having old ones re-arched isn't a lot of $ I would go with new ones that will last your lifetime................................MO

I debated rebuilding mine also, but ended up going with a new set for $225.

I'll probably just combine a couple sets I have laying around, adding an extra leaf from another pack to get some additional stiffness until I buy new ones to replace them with.

After 45 years or so springs need a little help so re-arching is fine but new is probably better. Steels have advanced quite a bit and so has heat treatment. I would expect the new springs to be a little more reliable over time if you are spending a similar amount of cash.

if re-arching is 1/2 price then go that way.

True good point on the new steel and tech, but my re-arch was only $65 dollars. Only "problem" was that now i want a bigger set of rear tires, since they will fit.

IMO the difference in cost between new and having old ones re-arched isn't a lot of $ I would go with new ones that will last your lifetime................................MO

I would agree with that......BUT he's already removed and disassembled his. That should knock a significant chunk off the price.

Well, you can do it yourself, if you have either a press or a sledgehammer, though I've never done the sledge route. Just to me, press is better. Lots of information about it over on the HAMB, as for who does it, truck repair places, blacksmiths, justhave to hunt aaround.

Big truck shops are a good place to check. You can imagine how expensive truck leaf springs are so re-arching is a good way to save money.

As I’m dissembling my leaf springs for my 68 Charger R/t for rebuilding, I need to ask the questions if the springs are ok.
So are my leaf springs ok or what?

Silly question, but did you put each one in the exact same spot on the garage floor when measuring? I know my floor is not perfectly level everywhere. I would have suggested measuring them by placing them one at at time on your work bench. It appears to be of fine craftsmanship and is probably more level than the garage floor.

To agree with RustyRatRod, you are probably fine...

Hah, I bet yours are about 6x better than the ones i have....all 3 sets.

The set out of my 67 project has a cut up truck leaf to keep them from sagging
The set out of my 66 parts car (in my 67 now) has about 0 strength left to them and sag low
the set in my 67 parts car has helper springs and still sags...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I took them into a local spring shop to have them checked out. Factory arch is 6” measured from the centerline between the two eyelets & mine were not far off. Estimate was $40 to have them re-arched and they would be done in a couple of hours. 30 minutes later I got a call the springs were “soft” = not very stiff compared to the new ones they had in stock. So I now have a nice new set of leaf springs for my ride + two sets worth the price of steel. Ah yes, another unexpected expense. :eusa_eh:

You have a "spring shop" in your town?
O the benefits of living in an ULTRA modern city!:icon_wink:

I know I just cant wait to find all of those extra costs!:eusa_hand:

Auto Transport Service
Back