• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learned something today on tracking down exhaust gasket leak..

64SF

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
For the last several days I've been chasing a "tick tick tick" coming from the right side of the engine near the distributor and number 2 cylinder. Sounded like a spark jumping. Fooled with wires, replaced the distributor cap and have a new set of wires on order. Even pulled the valve cover thinking it was a rocker arm, lifter or something in the valve train. Weird thing was when I pulled the plug wire from the number 2 cylinder the noise would go away. Used a stethoscope and still couldn't fine the noise.

After many hours of frustration I called an old school mopar guy and friend. He told me to take a piece of vacuum hose and put one end in my ear and place the other end of the hose near the exhaust manifold in the area of the noise. As you probably guessed it was a gasket leak and the pressure going out in the area up through the vacuum hose nearly blew my ear drum out.

I'm sure others have used this to diagnose where a leak was but if you haven't it may help you in the future.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 12.33.39 PM.png

I squirt ATF in the carb & look for the smoke coming from the leak.

Yep I started doing that in the 70's. Works good. Ron

I would pull the metal part off and use that with just the hose. Ron

I agree - I have one of those and that metal tube touched to any part of the engine (or drivetrain) just transmits all sorts of racket from everywhere. It needs at least a piece of rubber tubing over the end of it.

Auto Transport Service
Back