• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED dome light surprise

Tori

Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
Now that my dome light works with the door, and seeing how the heat (and 47 years) has yellowed and warped my dome lens, it thought i'd treat the ole girl to an LED bulb.

Stock dual contact, single filament bulb is a 1004. Bought the LED equivalent,... and as soon as i put the bulb in the socket, the new LED lights up. (doors closed, manual switch off) Stays on, and brightness does not change when switches are activated. Works normal with the old 1004 incandescent bulb.

Anyone found a way around this ?

paging 72RoadRunnerGTX :lowdown:

With your Ohm meter check to see if any leakage to case from either terminal
with a good meter or ground case on battery then take wire from positive side to each terminal if lights it is defective

I found there are a lot of LED replacements marketed as 1004 replacements that aren’t.

The correct 1004 LED replacement will have two contacts on the bottom, power and ground connect to the two contacts and do not involve the bulb socket case.

I can attest to these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-White-2...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

as working for that application, running a couple of them now.

Oh boy from the thread title, I thought you were gonna say you popped the lens off and found a tarantula or dead mouse or something...

I found there are a lot of LED replacements marketed as 1004 replacements that aren’t.

The correct 1004 LED replacement will have two contacts on the bottom, power and ground connect to the two contacts and do not involve the bulb socket case.

I can attest to these;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-White-27-SMD-BA15D-Cabin-Marine-Boat-LED-Interior-Lights-Bulbs-1004-1076-1142/352123748469?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

as working for that application, running a couple of them now.

Thanks 72, Looks like we bought the same bulb. I bought these which are from the same seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-Warm-W...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I chose those because of the warmer color temperature. Wanted a more natural, yellow light. I have yet to climb into the back seat and put the volt meter to the light assy. I'll do that and return with findings.

LEDBulb.PNG

Those are not the same bulbs; the description indicates the base is the negative. Technically that is not a 1004 replacement.

OH WTF ! :mad: Well, that is weird isn't it. I've never seen a bulb like that. Thank you for noticing.. I just figured the issue was on my end. I'll order up some different ones..

:thankyou:

Little update on this..... the seller shipped me out the +/- ones at no charge. (didn't even ask him to do that) Anyway, installed and all is well. Light is nice and even.
IMG_2830.JPG

I CHANGED MINE LAST YEAR NO MORE HOT LENS AND IF YOU ARE WORKING ON THE CAR IT WONT DRAIN THE BATTERY, I DECIDED TO GO WITH A STANDARD YELLOW LED FOR THE ORIGINAL LOOK, DASH LEDS ARE WHITE AND THE MAP LIGHT ALSO. BEST THING I EVER DID FOR BULB UP GRADES.

I CHANGED MINE LAST YEAR NO MORE HOT LENS AND IF YOU ARE WORKING ON THE CAR IT WONT DRAIN THE BATTERY, I DECIDED TO GO WITH A STANDARD YELLOW LED FOR THE ORIGINAL LOOK, DASH LEDS ARE WHITE AND THE MAP LIGHT ALSO. BEST THING I EVER DID FOR BULB UP GRADES.
THANK YOU FOR TYPING SO BIG AND FOR USING ALL CAPS. mANY OF US HERE ARE OLDER AND NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO DO THIS SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND BETTER.
:bananadance:

View attachment 652179
Those are not the same bulbs; the description indicates the base is the negative. Technically that is not a 1004 replacement.

Is sellers mistake on the listing. The BA15D socket is the correct 1004 lamp configuration, but he shoud have listed it as any other

BA-15S.jpg

Now, wondering what the hell was he selling, because dual contact lamp with dual + leads should get asymetric pins. If he sold one like that, the lamp OP got should not fit on dome socket. Not at least without force it in

Either BAY15D or BAU15D with diagonal pins ( not on pic ) will require to force in the lamp into the socket.

I haven't found an application for BA15D lamps with dual + and grounded base.

Last edited:
THANK YOU FOR TYPING SO BIG AND FOR USING ALL CAPS. mANY OF US HERE ARE OLDER AND NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO DO THIS SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND BETTER.
:bananadance:
AT LEAST HE DID ALL CAPS; YOU HELD DOWN THE sHIFT KEY ONCE......LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back