• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger Tail/Brake Light Led?

Flash

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to convert my taillights to led. I ordered my bulbs from Superbrightleds and the bulbs work for the 1st light and for the reverse lights but the center light does not work.

The bulbs I ordered were these, which work in bulb location 1 and flash when i use the turn signals. When in put the incandescent bulb in the center it still works.

Could someone recommend another bulb from Superbrightleds that would work?

1157 LED Bulb with Stock Cover - 2 Pack

20230807_190538.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered random brand LED's from Amazon (they have tons) and they all work, interior & exterior, and most recently the dash.

I would also make sure the sockets are cleaned and free from rust and corrosion as best as you can make them, and make sure the bulbs seat properly.

Have you tried different bulbs in that socket? Could have got a dud.

I ordered random brand LED's from Amazon (they have tons) and they all work, interior & exterior, and most recently the dash.

I would also make sure the sockets are cleaned and free from rust and corrosion as best as you can make them, and make sure the bulbs seat properly.

Have you tried different bulbs in that socket? Could have got a dud.
Yeah I tried swapping the led bulb that worked in socket 1, but wouldn't work in socket 2.

Looks like the bulbs only seat one way since the pins on the side are at different heights.

Yes they only go one way. Just make sure the connection in that socket is clean is the only advice for the current bulb.

Old sockets could be finicky with age. Maybe order up a different brand 1157 and try those, at least from amazon if they don't work, return em until you find ones that do.

Yes they only go one way. Just make sure the connection in that socket is clean is the only advice for the current bulb.

Old sockets could be finicky with age. Maybe order up a different brand 1157 and try those, at least from amazon if they don't work, return em until you find ones that do.
yeah I’ll try some other LED 1157s.

But it’s weird all the other incandescent bulbs work just fine in this one socket, just the LEDs won’t work.

I am looking to convert my taillights to led. I ordered my bulbs from Superbrightleds and the bulbs work for the 1st light and for the reverse lights but the center light does not work.

The bulbs I ordered were these, which work in bulb location 1 and flash when i use the turnsignals. When in put the incandescent bul in the center it still works.

Could someone recommend another bulb from Superbrightleds that would work?

1157 LED Bulb with Stock Cover - 2 Pack

View attachment 1506468
I have bought a set on Amazon 4 years ago and it was fine. You need to make sure the bases are solid like a conventional bulb.
Why your socket is not working probably the ground. I have an SE also and it had several crappy grounds that I needed to solder from the backside.
You also need a LED flasher for turn signals but not hazards.
Here is the ones I used for front parking lights. They are sturdy. They are bright and they make all the colors you need(do the back ups it makes a huge difference)

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulbs with Projector Replacement for Turn Signal Lights and Brake Lights, Amber Yellow https://a.co/d/b4N9uRc

I have bought a set on Amazon 4 years ago and it was fine. You need to make sure the bases are solid like a conventional bulb.
Why your socket is not working probably the ground. I have an SE also and it had several crappy grounds that I needed to solder from the backside.
You also need a LED flasher for turn signals but not hazards.
Here is the ones I used for front parking lights. They are sturdy. They are bright and they make all the colors you need(do the back ups it makes a huge difference)

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulbs with Projector Replacement for Turn Signal Lights and Brake Lights, Amber Yellow https://a.co/d/b4N9uRc
The center socket works with the original incandescent bulb, but not the LED. So could it still be a ground issue? I guess are the LEDs more sensitive to ground issues vs incandescent?

The center socket works with the original incandescent bulb, but not the LED. So could it still be a ground issue? I guess are the LEDs more sensitive to ground issues vs incandescent?
They can be. Are the bases solid like the incandescent bulb. Some LEDs have soft metal bases or pins that are not strong enough.

Have the contacts on the socket sink in to the plastic piece holding them? It looks like the contacts on the LED are longer/wide than they are on a conventional bulb

th-2149732900.jpg

These would have a better chance of hitting the contacts if they are recessed then the ones you have

LED voltage only flows one way. Check the wiring. It could be wired backward since the stock lightbulb only needed a ground.

LED voltage only flows one way. Check the wiring. It could be wired backward since the stock lightbulb only needed a ground.
Okay I'll check the wires. What would be the correct way?

Not 100%true
A lot of the bulbs have no polarity preference.

Okay I'll check the wires. What would be the correct way?
The wires should be fine. Easy test take a volt meter put the negative against the side of the socket and positive on the bottom with lights on should be 12 volts.
It would be helpful if you purchesed a better bulb with a better made base.
I have been running mine for 4 years no issues and as bright as modern cars.
Plus you need to run Red bulbs behind the red lense it makes it brighter.

The wires should be fine. Easy test take a volt meter put the negative against the side of the socket and positive on the bottom with lights on should be 12 volts.
It would be helpful if you purchesed a better bulb with a better made base.
I have been running mine for 4 years no issues and as bright as modern cars.
Plus you need to run Red bulbs behind the red lense it makes it brighter.
Copy I'll test socket.

Curious why the ones you linked are better? Comparing to what I have they look the same and don't even really show what the base pins look like.

What I bought.
1157 LED Bulb with Stock Cover - Dual Function 36 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb

Copy I'll test socket.

Curious why the ones you linked are better? Comparing to what I have they look the same and don't even really show what the base pins look like.

What I bought.
1157 LED Bulb with Stock Cover - Dual Function 36 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb
I am just going on my experience with them. The bases are really solid and super bright.
You have Super Bright which are usually well made.
Just took pictures of my car with lights and brakes on. My license plate light is also LED

20230814_214006_HDR~3.jpg

20230814_213756_HDR~3.jpg

20230814_213844_HDR.jpg

Huh? Led bulbs are 100% polarized. They have a positive leg and a negative leg.
Umm yeah never say anything is absolute. Here are a pair I found in a minute on Amazon.
AMAZENAR 2-Pack 1157 BAY15D 7528 2057 2357 Extremely Bright 300Lum White 6500K LED Light,Non-Polarity 10-30V-DC 5050 18 SMD Replacement Bulb For Brake Light Tail Lamps Back Up Reverse Lights https://a.co/d/4pKxTtm

Auto Transport Service
Back