• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Headlight Swap for 68 Charger

As some have said here you have to readjust the angle of headlites fromRH drive to LH drive and as stated before there is no such thing as a left n right halagen headlite.

Go out tonight and adjust your headlights to shine at the left side of the road. Before u do take a good look, or better yet, a picture of what's illuminated, wh e re the light reaches. Then park your car on the left half of the road, with lights adjusted and on. Take the picture again. Compare. All will become clear.

My original question was not ‘are there LHD and RHD headlights?’ FACT: there are.
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

I am not surprised that this may seem strange in the States as generally there would be no reason for LHD headlights to be stocked; the majority of new foreign vehicles for the USA market are made in the States, or if not, are made to USA compliance requirements. And I would guess the majority of USA based people on this forum are not importing second hand cars from the UK, Aussie etc (if you do I would assume you know what I am talking about).

That’s why my actual question, where can I find LHD LED headlights for a 68 Charger was largely directed at those in this forum who do drive on the LHS of the road.

My original question was not ‘are there LHD and RHD headlights?’ FACT: there are.
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Lighting_Equipment.pdf

I am not surprised that this may seem strange in the States as generally there would be no reason for LHD headlights to be stocked; the majority of new foreign vehicles for the USA market are made in the States, or if not, are made to USA compliance requirements. And I would guess the majority of USA based people on this forum are not importing second hand cars from the UK, Aussie etc (if you do I would assume you know what I am talking about).

That’s why my actual question, where can I find LHD LED headlights for a 68 Charger was largely directed at those in this forum who do drive on the LHS of the road.
BTW...when RHD vehicles in the United Kingdom travel across to Europe - which is ALL LHD, vehicles must be fitted with a minimum of headlight decals to prevent the light shining directly at the oncoming traffic. I had to do this myself years ago....of course the amount of light emitted forward is reduced, but it is the law. You can be ticketed in Europe for driving without the decals on the headlights.

The LED lamp itself inside a headlamp fitting is not left or right handed, the Reflector and glass of the headlamps are made specially for the markets that require them.

Just because they do not exist in the USA does not mean they do not exist anywhere.

BTW...when RHD vehicles in the United Kingdom travel across to Europe - which is ALL LHD, vehicles must be fitted with a minimum of headlight decals to prevent the light shining directly at the oncoming traffic. I had to do this myself years ago....of course the amount of light emitted forward is reduced, but it is the law. You can be ticketed in Europe for driving without the decals on the headlights.

The LED lamp itself inside a headlamp fitting is not left or right handed, the Reflector and glass of the headlamps are made specially for the markets that require them.

Just because they do not exist in the USA does not mean they do not exist anywhere.

Agree, in our cars the glass the headlight is made of is formed to reflect the light in the direction of to the RIGHT, so as to not blind oncoming drivers/ SO, simply adjusting the to the left is unsafe for everyone when driving on the left hand side. I imported a German car back in the day that I bought from a German dealer. The changes that had to be made before shipping surprised me. Before then I was unaware of the many differences. It cost a pretty penny too.

Heck, In Florida we have no vehicle inspections. And I swear the headlights on most vehicles here seem to be pointing towards on coming traffic. Or they always have their highbeams on? But you can't tell unless the car has 4 headlights like some of the classic cars. It sucks !

I never have seen or noticed any difference with sealed beams about LHD or RHD... I do know and noticed the difference about screens with its own headlamp design but not the tipical round and universal Sealed beams or similars replacements for H4 bulbs non sealed.

When I put my Charger in front of a wall I can see how the light over the wall is symetric to both sides, what does not happen with my W116 Mercedes, getting a light spreaded out ( something like a triangular area ) toward to the right side. The screen in fact shows noticeably the lense area to make that.

If there is a difference on these headlights ( Halogens H5006, H5001 or similar standard incandescent bulbs ) about RHD or LHD I have not noticed yet at least. sure they are not exactly symetrical on the lense, but nothing noticeable against the wall I'm aware off. Not at least I can't recall right now

Last edited:
well, searching on ebay uk found these... soooo well this is the first time I see these on the regular 5 3/4" or even 7" automotive sealed beams being drive side specific

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-3-4-GENUINE-SEALED-BEAM-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-CLASSIC-CAR-CASE-TRACTOR-RHD-UK/322293854810?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200514085038&meid=130a7bf1b7f94534b06d153cac3e3113&pid=101195&rk=4&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=264507284716&itm=322293854810&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Filter&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

now, about the led conversion for RHD... can't speak since as mentioned this is the first time to me.

Is Japan also RHD ? they should have those

I can find also led kit conversions on ebay Australia... so these should be for RHD... right ?

Last edited:
Right hand drive countries which means they drive on the Left hand side of the road include;
  • Thailand
  • South Africa
  • Singapore
  • New Zealand
  • Malta
  • Malaysia
  • Kenya
  • Japan
  • Jamaica
  • Isle of Man
  • Ireland
  • India
  • Hong Kong
  • Cyprus
  • Channel Islands
  • Caribbean Islands
  • Australia
https://www.carmudi.com.ph/journal/whats-the-reason-behind-right-hand-driving-in-some-countries/

Reasons Why Right-Hand Driving Exists in Some Countries
Many countries that practice right-hand driving are former (or current) British colonies. And there's a reason behind it. During English feudalism where knights or sword fighters were still in the norm, right-handed swordsmen would prefer to keep to the "left side of the road" for the following reasons:
  • So they can easily use their right hand to wield their sword to an approaching opponent
  • To avoid bumping into another's scabbard, which is the thin cover of the sword that's attached to a belt and placed on the left part the body
  • To easily mount from the left side, and dismount from the right side of the horse

As some have said here you have to readjust the angle of headlites fromRH drive to LH drive and as stated before there is no such thing as a left n right halagen headlite.
Your full of ****. The bulbs are not different, sure. The glass housing the bulbs are in IS different. They are molded differently on the inside of the face so that they reflect the light the bulb supplies accordingly, for both driving needs. No, generally speaking automobiles do not have enough adjustment built into the adjusters to correct this reflective shaping of the lenses' in order to make them usable for the opposite driving need. You will be blinding the oncoming drivers and not getting the full illumination of your lights on the roadway in front of you.
So, stop professing to know every god damn thing when you are being seen to clearly be ignorant of the reality of the situation.
This picture clearly shows those of you who need visual aids that the light is dispersed as I and KIWIGTX have said, and many others have said.
images-q-tbn-3aand9gcq87qvejdku9jkxjbro0rn9ct0tfzc1tqrtugqlg-4njjvpl3ni-usqp-cau-png.png

Adjusting the headlights will only serve to put the longer spread of light into the oncoming drivers face and put the shorter pattern in the ditch. Sure, YOU will be able to see where your going, but the oncoming driver will not. Hence, the different lights for different countries. How anyone can say it isn't so when those countries and ours have a system and requirement in place to swap them out is beyond narcissitic.

Last edited:
Your full of ****. The bulbs are not different, sure. The glass housing the bulbs are in IS different. They are molded differently on the inside of the face so that they reflect the light the bulb supplies accordingly, for both driving needs. No, generally speaking automobiles do not have enough adjustment built into the adjusters to correct this reflective shaping of the lenses' in order to make them usable for the opposite driving need. You will be blinding the oncoming drivers and not getting the full illumination of your lights on the roadway in front of you.
So, stop professing to know every god damn thing when you are being seen to clearly be ignorant of the reality of the situation.
These were made at one degree to the rite off centre n the inside had tiny prisms to reflect the lite.Before you tell people there full of **** get your facts straight as the internet is full of ****

These were made at one degree to the rite off centre n the inside had tiny prisms to reflect the lite.Before you tell people there full of **** get your facts straight as the internet is full of ****
I stand by my assessment of your ignorance. No man is blinder than he who refuses to see the truth when it's presented to him. I have personally driven in several country's and have been on the paying end of having changes made to cars to drive them there. One of two things is true; 1. your right. or 2. those businesses and governments who have been requiring these changes to be made are full of **** and ripping off everyone.

H,,mmmmmmm lets see...… yep, they aren't full of ****.

I stand by my assessment of your ignorance. No man is blinder than he who refuses to see the truth when it's presented to him. I have personally driven in several country's and have been on the paying end of having changes made to cars to drive them there. One of two things is true; 1. your right. or 2. those businesses and governments who have been requiring these changes to be made are full of **** and ripping off everyone.

H,,mmmmmmm lets see...… yep, they aren't full of ****.
Put that quote from the internet on here on how they adjust the bulbs n people will understand like yourself, what is entitled to adjust the bulbs.Like i said before there is no such thing as left n right bulbs.this is what the op was asking in the first place

Headlamp adapters....just stick them on the headlights. Because it's the law, and because you know, research for decades shows the need....never mind that some would have you believe they don't exist....or never did, because there are no differences in lights...#becauseimrightbecauseisaidso....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQJyD7LXBhZjjDbWwh5_cXbqkphB20RmQegYi3DTj_NA&s.jpg

Put that quote from the internet on here on how they adjust the bulbs n people will understand like yourself, what is entitled to adjust the bulbs.Like i said before there is no such thing as left n right bulbs.this is what the op was asking in the first place
There is some confusion here. Some people say bulbs and mean headlights. Others say the opposite. Yes, the actual bulbs that are replaceable in modern headlight casings are the same. The lenses are different.

ANNND you still full of it. Here's the original OP post. He mentions headlights in a 68 charger not bulbs. Nobody said anything about bulbs.
"Hi there, in order to meet vehicle compliance in New Zealand I need to swap out the headlights on my 68 Charger as the high beam and light direction is set up for driving on the RHS of the road as opposed to the LHS in NZ. While I am at it I am going to swap to LED. I have found plenty of aftermarket LED headlights on American websites but can seem to find any on NZ, Australian or British websites. Could any of the Kiwi, Aussie or Brit members of this forum point me in the right direction of some compliant LED headlights for driving on the LHS of the road?"
See? he has sealed beam lights from 68, that have lenses that direct the beam. he wants LED's that are left or right
compliant. He has no issue with the LED itself, only the lense body it resides inside of. So your assertion that, " Like i said before there is no such thing as left n right bulbs.this is what the op was asking in the first place.", he said that, is false.

While your assertion about the bulbs themselves is correct, it's not what we are talking about here. Stop muddying the waters, if you cant help with the original question then why share?

The bulbs cannot be "adjusted", you stick them into the headlight casing and they glow. Get it straight...head lights...have bulbs, inside them. The headlights are the problem not the bulbs.

Auto Transport Service
Back