• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED's are Light Pollution

Zero account is taken of the drivers in oncoming vehicles

IMG_9125.gif

https://gifdb.com/shrug

Seems that most often when headlights are irritating, it’s a Ford truck, stacked lights seem to be on day or night. Sometimes with a heavy load or pulling a trailer jacking up the light beam. I got a set of yellow-tinted glasses and they worked nicely for me, but over last summer, my eyesight deteriorated to the point I wouldn’t drive at night. Even the tinted specs weren’t helping much anymore. Eye doc had been watching my cataracts condition over several years and kept saying your eyes aren’t bad enough warranting the surgery yet. Well, seemed as though that sped up in a hurry, getting the surgeries last fall. Remarkable improvement, like night & day (gotta be a pun here). I still wear the tinted glasses at night, as they also reduce glare.

Installed LED tail/brake lights in my ’63 couple years ago and they made a nice difference, I haven’t noticed people jamming on their brakes at the last minute when I’ve been stopping or making a turn, especially the dips who tailgate. Been looking at options for better headlights.

So I’m to blame for the way a vehicle is designed. Pa-lease. :rolleyes: Now, I will admit that the Ford headlights are very bright and every once in a great while someone will flash their highs at me at night but I’ve had Ford trucks for the last 10 years logging over 400,000 miles and no one coming at me at night has run themselves off the road. I’ve also never been bothered by other Ford trucks coming at me at night no matter what vehicle I’m driving.

If it’s suuuuuch a big issue, perhaps you, and the other crybaby from SW Florida should get your eyes checked for cataracts. Having that done will increase your night vision considerably and make YOU a safer driver. Ask me how I know.

All these posts complaining about headlights; sheesh what are you an old lady? :rolleyes:
I have had cataract surgery in both eyes so scratch that.
Several times I’ve been on roads with no shoulders and have had to point the car to the ditch and hit the brakes because I couldn’t see sweet f all. So my feathers get a little ruffled when someone says how wonderful these lights are.

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes so scratch that.
Several times I’ve been on roads with no shoulders and have had to point the car to the ditch and hit the brakes because I couldn’t see sweet f all. So my feathers get a little ruffled when someone says how wonderful these lights are.

I've worn glasses since first grade & I had cataract surgery about 10 years ago. They corrected my vision so I don't need glasses any longer & my ability to see driving at night has greatly improved, mainly because the halo glare from oncoming headlights was eliminated.

You should have gone to my eye surgeon. :D

I think it is odd the people claiming the new lights are fine and the people that don;t like them must have bad vision are the ones claiming how much better they can see with the new lights.

My night vision is fine, I am not an old man like most people on this board. I am the type, in my tiny town with 1992 yellow metal halide street lights, that forgets to turn his headlights on leaving the gas station because I don't need them to see in town at night.

Perhaps my vision is the opposite of "bad" and this is why I despise these new lights? perhaps the ones claiming the new lights are a godsend should be considering their night driving ability?

My night vision is fine, I am not an old man like most people on this board.
Thanks for sharing this. Yes, my night vision used to be fine, then it wasn’t at 68 years-old, then it was fine again post cataract surgery. Enjoyed my youth and don’t have it anymore – something that happens to everyone who lives long enough..

I have installed led's in all my daily drivers and love them, never had anyone flash their brights at me, but there is more to just plug and play installation, the bulbs have to be clocked a certain way, I had to drill a new set of holes in the adjusment ring on my wifes escape to get them to clock correctly.
And I have a perfect example of one of the offenders, I was walking by a coworkers older 12/13? f150 and noticed the reflector cone laying in the bottom of the headlight housing so you could also see the bulb was completely clocked wrong, I pointed it out to him and got the shoulder shrug and the he could see fine :rolleyes:
Here is a illustration of the correct installation
IMG_2465.jpeg

I got a ticket for not dimming my brights one time. I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Thanks for sharing this. Yes, my night vision used to be fine, then it wasn’t at 68 years-old, then it was fine again post cataract surgery. Enjoyed my youth and don’t have it anymore – something that happens to everyone who lives long enough..
I mean NO disrespect to anyone here and especially because of age!
But I wanted to post that because in this topic, age and bad vision should not be some dismissive catch all about how the lights function in the real world.
I am middle aged, my eyeglasses(contacts) prescription has not changed in 25 years since high school. I don't take issue with these LED's because I am "old with cataracts", which seemed to be a running theme starting on this thread. I am sure that people have that situation, but it is not relavent to my initial posts here about my experience.
Glad you were able to get your vision fixed up! My mother in law recently did this too and says she can't believe she waited so long(68 this year)

It's also and issue with the LEO and emergency responders on the side of the road, I know they want to be seen, but don't blind me so I can't see you.

It's also and issue with the LEO and emergency responders on the side of the road, I know they want to be seen, but don't blind me so I can't see you.
Yes they strobing blues are downright scary at times. Definitely slow way down.

I blame the shape of the housing. Once the plastic (Another problem with headlights) starts to deteriorate or craze the light is refracted and scattered in the wrong directions. My wife's Jeep has HID lights on it and they are not worth a damn. The housing is all crazed and I think the light just bounces around inside the housing. Get new housings you say, sure they are only $500+ a side, sign me up. HIDs don't work in this hilly terrain anyway.
Another complaint about new car lighting is who are all the toddlers working at these design studios that put a bunch of slashes and gashes on the front of the car and then fill them all with white LED lights so we have 50+ lights coming at us. Or is it just the designer inside joke to see just how stupid these cars look and the owners that buy them are.

The article you linked talks about seniors, which I agree with. Since you couldn't provide an article, I'm going to say that your previous claim of people losing 50% of night vision is bogus.

When d
It's a studied, proven, and celebrated fact by the car companies, that LED headlights have a different color lights and are much brighter than incandescents. But some people don't believe in facts anymore.... so it's must be old guys who have (assumed) degraded vision.

:blah:

did we agree on the specific age of Seniors regarding the aging loss of night vision to be the benchmark for a claim of bogus?

No need for a reply, your mind is already made up, be honest.

Last edited:
It's a studied, proven, and celebrated fact by the car companies, that LED headlights have a different color lights and are much brighter than incandescents. But some people don't believe in facts anymore.... so it's must be old guys who have (assumed) degraded vision.

:blah:
I am not sure anybody has contested your first claim above. Your other claims here do not warrant a response.

What you and a few others here seem to be overlooking, LED's of any color temp and wattage, with the correct optics and aiming, cause no problems for drivers of any age.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Now we’re talking. Those blue strobes are absolutely blinding at night.
Maybe you stop driving at night, being chased by the LEO's?
A friend told me, and he has a non-led lighted vehicle, at night he leaves his brights on all the time. If a vehicle approaches and has non glaring lights or turns off their bright lights he will reduce his. If he is blinded by the oncoming vehicle he leaves his on to better see his lane’s white line as he stares away from this menacing force.
He gets to decide.
It is mind boggling that the USA doesn’t control this. Maybe it’s a way to get move drivers to involuntary stop driving at night.

Oh, and the friend had tried those yellow glasses that don’t work for him and he’s gone to tilting down the sunvisor so as to cut out the glare. It especially works well on highways and expressways. He also hates the dickwads that tailgate close enough that his interior is lit up like he is on the set of a night TV talk show. He has some special light on the back of his vehicle that as that system is being deployed and switched on it gets those pests to instantly backoff. He says that’s extremely satisfying. He’s a hoot.
And guaranteed to get you pulled over if an LEO is tailgating you.

It’s drilled down to this: The only way to stop a bad guy with LED’s is a good guy with LED’s. I’m stopping at the Chrome King truck supply store today. My ride will be seen from the space station.

It’s drilled down to this: The only way to stop a bad guy with LED’s is a good guy with BAD LED’s. I’m stopping at the Chrome King truck supply store today. My ride will be seen from the space station.
All righty then :lol:

My vision has degraded to 20/20.

I had 20/10 vision until my mid 40's.

I also have no problem seeing at night without my headlights on.

The industry needs to shift some focus to not blinding oncoming traffic.

That is potentially more dangerous than driving with dimmer lights.

Auto Transport Service
Back