• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED's are Light Pollution

There is a difference in brightness , the wattage used to be 45/65 ish now they don’t dim the led like in my wife’s Jeep GC they just use a shutter to control the flood of light. Trucks get worse with a load on or lifted.

Well, as someone who’s owned a few F150’s, I can tell you that the LED headlights are freakin’ awesome! If you see me coming and the headlights bother you, just put on your sunglasses.
Well Mister Cranium, how intelligent is it to blind the driver that’s coming towards you?

It's not the color, it's not the wattage, It's very poor optics and/or lack of beam control, and may be poor aiming. But if the Leds are just high-powered flood lights, aiming is academic. I have LED headlights (Grote), they are great in everyway except cost, they have a very defined beam pattern, they don't light the air or whatever is floating in it above say few feet , when approaching a wall it is very obvious the beam pattern. Proper optics are much more difficult then just placing a bunch LED's in a fixture.
Why the blinding lights are not enforced as a safety issue, is beyond me, but boy if your window tint is a shade too dark, it's hands on the hood time.

Last edited:
Well Mister Cranium, how intelligent is it to blind the driver that’s coming towards you?
Not very, but at least the person with the brightest lights will likely see you crossing the line may be the thinking.

I also live in the country where its pitch black at night and the new headlights are dangerous on these two lane roads. You cannot see a damn thing when a car is approaching that last 50-75 yards or so. I just look at the fog line to the right to stay centered and hope to hell nothing is in the road ahead of me. The Ford truck "projectors" seems to be the worst.

So I’m to blame for the way a vehicle is designed. Pa-lease. :rolleyes: Now, I will admit that the Ford headlights are very bright and every once in a great while someone will flash their highs at me at night but I’ve had Ford trucks for the last 10 years logging over 400,000 miles and no one coming at me at night has run themselves off the road. I’ve also never been bothered by other Ford trucks coming at me at night no matter what vehicle I’m driving.

If it’s suuuuuch a big issue, perhaps you, and the other crybaby from SW Florida should get your eyes checked for cataracts. Having that done will increase your night vision considerably and make YOU a safer driver. Ask me how I know.

All these posts complaining about headlights; sheesh what are you an old lady? :rolleyes:

So I’m to blame for the way a vehicle is designed. Pa-lease. :rolleyes: Now, I will admit that the Ford headlights are very bright and every once in a great while someone will flash their highs at me at night but I’ve had Ford trucks for the last 10 years logging over 400,000 miles and no one coming at me at night has run themselves off the road. I’ve also never been bothered by other Ford trucks coming at me at night no matter what vehicle I’m driving.

If it’s suuuuuch a big issue, perhaps you, and the other crybaby from SW Florida should get your eyes checked for cataracts. Having that done will increase your night vision considerably and make YOU a safer driver. Ask me how I know.

All these posts complaining about headlights; sheesh what are you an old lady? :rolleyes:
Don’t hold back Mark, I wanna hear what you really have to say.

:luvplace:

It seems to me the car with the brightest lights has a view with the least contrast in intensity and therefor is blinded the least, and also likely has the least lighting complaints, that might be proven by the simple act of when being "blinded" by an oncoming cars headlights, putting your high beams on you can often see better during the encounter, but now that just makes two blinded drivers instead of one.

Speaking of night vision, it's a well known fact by the age of 40 most people have lost 50% of their night vision, and it keeps declining, irrespective of possible cataract effects.

And speaking of "cry baby", grow up.

Last edited:
Speaking of night vision, it's a well known fact by the age of 40 most people have lost 50% of their night vision, and it keeps declining, irrespective of possible cataract effects.
We all have vision issues a we age, but losing 50% of night vision by age 40 sounds like a stretch. Got any sources to back that up?

And speaking of "cry baby", grow up.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

We all have vision issues a we age, but losing 50% of night vision by age 40 sounds like a stretch. Got any sources to back that up?
"As we age, our pupils decrease in size and don't dilate as dramatically in darker conditions, making it more difficult to see clearly at night. By about age 60, the human eye requires three times more light to see than at age 20."Senior Drivers Need More Light to Drive Safely
I don't consider this a top tier medical source, but I have read in the past this same contention elsewhere. The basis in other sources centered more on age related natural Eye rod cell decline.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. Hence my suggestion

I don't consider this a top tier medical source, but I have read in the past this same contention elsewhere. The basis in other sources centered more on age related natural Eye rod cell decline.

The article you linked talks about seniors, which I agree with. Since you couldn't provide an article, I'm going to say that your previous claim of people losing 50% of night vision is bogus.

It's a studied, proven, and celebrated fact by the car companies, that LED headlights have a different color lights and are much brighter than incandescents. But some people don't believe in facts anymore.... so it's must be old guys who have (assumed) degraded vision.

:blah:

It's a studied, proven, and celebrated fact by the car companies, that LED headlights have a different color lights and are much brighter than incandescents. But some people don't believe in facts anymore.... so it's must be old guys who have (assumed) degraded vision.

:blah:

Yes, LED headlights do have a different color and are brighter. The car companies aren't going to stop manufacturing them, so what do you want to do about it other then piss and moan here? If it's that much of an issue for some, perhaps night driving isn't for them any longer.

Well, as someone who’s owned a few F150’s, I can tell you that the LED headlights are freakin’ awesome! If you see me coming and the headlights bother you, just put on your sunglasses.
I wear my sunglasses at night,because some Massholes lights are too bright! Lol

Something I've noticed of late is that some LED headlights have perhaps a wear or failure issue, maybe even a design issue- where they flicker, but it's really only noticeable when viewed in a mirror.

I first became aware of this when I thought a cop was behind me a few hundred feet.
Try as I may, I couldn't make out what kind of car it was on account of the flicker.
After that, I've been more aware and have noticed at least a dozen.

Perhaps it has to do with the "shutter" mentioned above.
I've not heard that before.

...but it's annoying.

LED is light pollution, like rock and roll is noise pollution

LED ain't light pollution
LED ain't gonna die
LED ain't light pollution
LED, it will survive (yes, it will)
We're just talkin' about the future
Forget about the past
It'll always be with us
It's never gonna die, never gonna die

Or whatever AC/DC said :rofl:

...and I've commented elsewhere that the "safety" industry seems only to be concerned with (or even aware of) the driver benefitting from brighter light in his vehicle.

Zero account is taken of the drivers in oncoming vehicles, only that the driver of the vehicle with the newer technology lights can see farther.

A friend told me, and he has a non-led lighted vehicle, at night he leaves his brights on all the time. If a vehicle approaches and has non glaring lights or turns off their bright lights he will reduce his. If he is blinded by the oncoming vehicle he leaves his on to better see his lane’s white line as he stares away from this menacing force.
He gets to decide.
It is mind boggling that the USA doesn’t control this. Maybe it’s a way to get move drivers to involuntary stop driving at night.

Oh, and the friend had tried those yellow glasses that don’t work for him and he’s gone to tilting down the sunvisor so as to cut out the glare. It especially works well on highways and expressways. He also hates the dickwads that tailgate close enough that his interior is lit up like he is on the set of a night TV talk show. He has some special light on the back of his vehicle that as that system is being deployed and switched on it gets those pests to instantly backoff. He says that’s extremely satisfying. He’s a hoot.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back