• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see your ‘68 D4S interiors

mr_belvedere

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
Would like to see some 1968 b-body D4S interior (Deluxe bench, silver and black) pics. Restored or original in any condition.
I contacted Legendary recently to inquire about availability of their offerings in this color. Was told sunvisors and headliner were black.
Well, they aren’t.
Sunvisors are most certainly silver and the headliner is a light color, perhaps silver/gray-ish? I have yet to pull a sample of what is left of the headliner to determine.
Legendary did say they could make the silver sunvisors.
0C9EF085-D921-4435-8FDE-152EA57CE74E.png

My "silver special" 4D Belvedere parts car does have black visors and headliner.

Sorry, mine is a 67.

My 68 Road Runner has the D4S interior. I got it as a 10K ex-race car over 30 years ago. Yes, the headliner and visors are silver. I inquired at Legendary maybe 25 years ago for the silver headliner and was told that they did not carry it. That silver material was also used in 67 on some VIP models. They did pass on some information that I followed up on - They knew of an auto interior shop in LA that could help me. Quite appropriately the shop was named ACME Upholstery (Los Angeles area maybe) and they had some NOS material in that color in stock. They made a headliner for me but it was expensive, seem to recall it was about $400 vice the typical $75 for a Legendary item. But it was well made. The local guy who installed it asked where I got it because he could tell it was not a China item. When I told him the name, he said that they were known in the industry for doing high end custom work. He felt honored to work with it... I have no idea if they are still around or not. Most people with the D4S will just install a black headliner out of convenience, and probably the same with the visors. Other items I see substituted are the arm rest bases (should be black), lock knobs (black) and rear window plastic trim (silver). In these pictures, the door panels, seats, visor, arm rests are all the original stuff. The pictures with the green paint and dirty interior are from 32 years ago.

dcp02567.JPG

DCP02592.JPG

dcp02593.JPG

img004 LR.JPG

Jim's Car 015.jpg

My 68 Road Runner has the D4S interior. I got it as a 10K ex-race car over 30 years ago. Yes, the headliner and visors are silver. I inquired at Legendary maybe 25 years ago for the silver headliner and was told that they did not carry it. That silver material was also used in 67 on some VIP models. They did pass on some information that I followed up on - They knew of an auto interior shop in LA that could help me. Quite appropriately the shop was named ACME Upholstery (Los Angeles area maybe) and they had some NOS material in that color in stock. They made a headliner for me but it was expensive, seem to recall it was about $400 vice the typical $75 for a Legendary item. But it was well made. The local guy who installed it asked where I got it because he could tell it was not a China item. When I told him the name, he said that they were known in the industry for doing high end custom work. He felt honored to work with it... I have no idea if they are still around or not. Most people with the D4S will just install a black headliner out of convenience, and probably the same with the visors. Other items I see substituted are the arm rest bases (should be black), lock knobs (black) and rear window plastic trim (silver). In these pictures, the door panels, seats, visor, arm rests are all the original stuff. The pictures with the green paint and dirty interior are from 32 years ago.

View attachment 1572891

View attachment 1572892

View attachment 1572893

View attachment 1572894

View attachment 1572895
Thanks Jim! EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Seat inserts for '68 were Reed grain pattern without pleats. Silver visors & headliner.
Fun fact: Legendary used my original '68 interior to make the Reed dies and patterns 40 years ago when only the '69 inserts were being done.
It could be that late-MY-1968 got the pleated inserts, as the flat Reed inserts could stretch.
My car had black garnish @ back window. 9/30/67 SPD St Louis car.
Shift lever is not correct in my car; I did that when I went with a Hurst shifter.

FTSEAT.jpg

BACKSEAT.jpg

Last edited:
Set inserts for '68 were Reed grain pattern without pleats. Silver visors & headliner.
Fun fact: Legendary used my original '68 interior to make the Reed dies and patterns 40 years ago when only the '69 inserts were being done.
It could be that late-MY-1968 got the pleated inserts, as the flat Reed inserts could stretch.
My car had black garnish @ back window. 9/30/67 SPD St Louis car.
Shift lever is not correct in my car; I did that when I went with a Hurst shifter.

View attachment 1573592

View attachment 1573593
Very nice! Thank you

Not surprising that Chrysler would have had different vendors suppling the different plants? Never knew about the pleated/non-pleated inserts before - probably never even looked, just saw black/silver... My RoadRunner was a later build car at the Lynch Road plant - 4 May 1968. It was a Coupe without the Decor package but it had been special ordered as a basic RR with just the 426 and AM radio as options - probably ran out of money after the engine option.

Mine had no options except the Hemi & 4-speed requirement (Dana 60) - not even a radio.
It was ordered by a USAF airman, who kept a log on it; its job was to race.

Auto Transport Service
Back