• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's make suggestions on how to be a better driver.

I was going to mention the same thing. Seems here in Northern NV, that a lot of the drivers here do not practice this maneuver as the haven't grasped the concept of "MERGE" and not to yield!!! The other added factor is when those in the left lane do not move over to the right lane to allow those on the on-ramp to get up to speed and either pass or fall in behind them. I also see many drivers that refuse to use their turn signals at any time. I mean are they options on your vehicle??? If I catch someone not using them and my widow is down and so is theirs, I yell out..."Are Turn Signals and option on the vehicle??? The replies at times are not worth mentioning so I will avoid it but you know what they are. Finally, I try and signal at every time I am making a move to let those in front and behind me what my intentions are. I at times will even use my arm to signal my intentions. Bet a lot here have forgotten them. My advis for those that continue to use their phones when driving, I copy my Brothers saying...HANG UP AND FOOKING DRIVE!!! cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:
And here in Reno they drive too fast for the weather condition

My wife is Asian. Don’t worry dear I’ll drive is what I say whenever we go some place. I’m doing my part to make the road’s safer.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone cuts in front of you, this is my stopping distance.

How about this....
Traffic is rolling along fine but a Police officer has someone pulled over off the freeway, so the traffic all slows down to below the limit.
He already HAS someone pulled over....He isn't jumping back in the car to stop you for driving 6 mph over the limit, jerkoff!

You mean a chicane...right?
A chicane is a serpentine road, s-shapes added to straight sections to discourage speed. A traffic circle is also known as a round-a-bout.
1668211467411.png

A chicane is a serpentine road, s-shapes added to straight sections to discourage speed. A traffic circle is also known as a round-a-bout.
View attachment 1371837
And there's the biggest problem ... If the blue car (outer circle) is allowed to go past the very next exit but the yellow car is allowed to exit at any point you've engineered a wreck factory... Yes there are plenty of wrecks caused but people failing to yield to the car in the circle, or the people who freak out when entering the circle taking waaaayyyy to long to get their *** moving....

And there's the biggest problem ... If the blue car (outer circle) is allowed to go past the very next exit but the yellow car is allowed to exit at any point you've engineered a wreck factory... Yes there are plenty of wrecks caused but people failing to yield to the car in the circle, or the people who freak out when entering the circle taking waaaayyyy to long to get their *** moving....
Most roundabouts that I encounter are one lane, not two. However, in this case the rules would be the same as any two lane (same direction) road in that the yellow car is allowed to turn off only if the adjacent lane is clear. If not, simply go around again.

I did not like roundabouts when I first saw them. I'm still not crazy about them but I understand their appeal.

Most roundabouts that I encounter are one lane, not two. However, in this case the rules would be the same as any two lane (same direction) road in that the yellow car is allowed to turn off only if the adjacent lane is clear. If not, simply go around again.
We have a two-lane roundabout not far from where I live. When I was an apprentice, that same roundabout was a three-lane job......lots of fun.

Basically you start moving towards your outer lane after you cleared the ones that peel off before your exit. It is easy once you get the hang of it.

In the wet that roundabout used to be lots of fun....I did at least 2 180's on it way back when. The traffic usually stops well short.
That same roundabout has now been turned into some weird sort of concoction of a Y-junction intersection to accommodate a new Bus Lane route. It has completely taken away the plot of grass where we had a magnificent tree with Christmas lights each year. Our company had the contract to hang the lights, and remove them every year. I did that at least twice in my lifetime. It was the only time we could legitimately drive on the grass. :lol:

:xscuseless:

Here is what it looks like just recently - stole the picture from the innerweb....
1668221176247.png

Here's an old shot after the tree was removed.....
1668221229640.png

1668221586709.png

Thís was taken just before reconstruction around 2 years ago...
1668221552801.png

The brown building on the right was a FORD Dealership called Panmure Motors. One day, Shaky Dave and I were given a job to repair all the fluorescent lights behind the huge letters making up the sign "PANMURE MOTORS". We removed all the letters and laid them down flat on the mezzanine roof extension to go off for morning smoko (break time), but just before we left, I rearranged a couple of letters and stood them up to read "MANURE MOTORS"

Shaky Dave didn 't know what I had done, until we were across the intersection stnding outside the Bakery shop that was our local haunt. I told him turn around and look. He just about shat bricks.....went apeshit at me....it was funny as hell.

My only regret is that I didn't have a camera on me....it was 1984. :rolleyes:

No, no, and NO!
It is the job of the driver getting on the highway to merge. They do not have right of way, the car on the highway does. The merging car is to match highway speed and then merge. Many times by changing speed you make it hard for the merging traffic that is trying to match your speed. This is one of the things taught us by the Highway Patrol when I worked at MODoT.

And loud pipes do not save lives! If you use loud exhaust to announce your presence, you have them pointing the wrong direction. And that leads to this question:why do horns on HDs point at the ground?
I also see in YT videos where a vehicle will pull in front of a MC. What does the cyclist do? Pull in the clutch and pin the throttle and make that poor engine bounce off the rev limiter. The hand twisting the throttle would be better used by squeezing the brake since most braking is done by the front wheel.
Most braking is done by the front wheel? If you’ve ever ridden a motorcycle, you know that it is the exact opposite. Most of the braking is done by the rear brake, and most times I only use my front brake when coming to a complete stop, and to hold me in position on an incline. I also don’t rely on loud pipes to keep me safe, I rely on paying attention to the many, many morons out there who don’t pay attention to anything but themselves, or their phones. My comment above stands, look at the front rim of cars, if it’s turning, there is danger. Even if they just start a roll while waiting to pull out in traffic, I alert right away, because most people don’t give a **** if a car, truck or bike is coming, they just go.

Another pet peeve of mine….I’m turning left onto a 4 lane, a car is turning right onto that same road. The car turning right somehow thinks that they need both lanes to complete their turn. And, oh the looks and beeps you get when you turn at the same time as someone else, and they have to use only the correct right lane.

I just love it when someone who is NOT turning right on red doesn't have the sense to stay to the left while at a red light; blocking anyone behind them from making a right............usually a woman or a metrofag

:elmer:

Another pet peeve of mine….I’m turning left onto a 4 lane, a car is turning right onto that same road. The car turning right somehow thinks that they need both lanes to complete their turn. And, oh the looks and beeps you get when you turn at the same time as someone else, and they have to use only the correct right lane.
In the State where I am currently residing, one may not change lanes inside of an intersection. The person breaking the Law is almost always at fault, as would be the person who dives for another lane while in or exiting the intersection.

Turning right on red, the driver owns their lane and has the right of way for that lane only. If oncoming traffic changes lanes just before the intersection and collides with the turning car, they are at fault.

Most braking is done by the front wheel? If you’ve ever ridden a motorcycle, you know that it is the exact opposite. Most of the braking is done by the rear brake, and most times I only use my front brake when coming to a complete stop, and to hold me in position on an incline. I also don’t rely on loud pipes to keep me safe, I rely on paying attention to the many, many morons out there who don’t pay attention to anything but themselves, or their phones. My comment above stands, look at the front rim of cars, if it’s turning, there is danger. Even if they just start a roll while waiting to pull out in traffic, I alert right away, because most people don’t give a **** if a car, truck or bike is coming, they just go.
You are dead wrong on that. When brakes are aplied weight transfers to the front tire. That is why there are two discs on the front. And on many bikes they have four to six pistons on the front with two or four on a single caliper on the back. Which has more braking power?
And its why there is a small drum usually on the back. It doesnt take much to lock the rear brake die to the weight transfer.
Many people believe most braking is done with the rear but are incorrect. Old wives tales of, "I had to lay it down". Bikes with integrated brakes have proportioning valves just like cars that send most of the fluid pressure to the front. Brake handle sends pressure to the front and the pedal activates one front and the rear with most pressure going to the front.
BTW, its just like a car. They have bigger brakes on the front. Pickups have at least anti lock on the rear due to the rear being lighter and more prone to wheel lock.
And, yes, I've been riding since the 70s.
Do this: go to an empty parking lot and acellerate to a determined speed and measure the distance it takes to stop using just the rear and just the front and both.
Just because the rear wheel locks doesnt mean it is doing more braking. In fact, a locked wheel does less braking.
I bet I can guess what brand bike you ride, also. They used Kelsey-Hayes for years. Now they use Italian Brembos. The K-H were junk.
If the rear did most of the braking they would put dual calipers on the rear.

Auto Transport Service
Back