• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about rust!

You should look into attaching the newer style of bottom door seal. Especially, if you're going to go through all the trouble of repairing the rust.

You should look into attaching the newer style of bottom door seal. Especially, if you're going to go through all the trouble of repairing the rust.

That's the plan! I need to look into what's available as I'm sure that that style is no longer available. My thought is to maybe just use some masticated type material and just bolt it in place with that bottom trim piece instead of using the round channel as there's a few areas that have rust damage. Think of it as a gasket layer between the door and the trim piece. See pics.
Trim piece attached.

P1010866.JPG

Trim & seal piece removed.
P1010868.JPG

It looks like there's room to sheet metal screw a thin metal plate over the holes for reinforcement.

It looks like there's room to sheet metal screw a thin metal plate over the holes for reinforcement.
What about pop rivets with backing washers? Even if you had to piecemeal it. Home Depot has various steel and aluminum pieces to choose from. I think that‘s very doable. Good luck!

Well, I was checking the yard this morning, getting ready for the storm and saw this aluminum pool enclosure beam. Light as heck ,but strong. A friend gave me this like 15 to 20 years ago. If you lived close by you could cut yourself off a piece. My garage door bottom has this strip of aluminum screwed to the underside and the rubber piece just slides into it. If you got a thin piece of metal for the outside to cover up the rust damage, screw it all together and then get some angles to secure your braces and good to go.

9EE812D9-EA8F-470E-8BBA-326053EAF412.jpeg

3FB5876F-0C4F-46FF-94C2-DC49B48DD678.jpeg

Yes, there is. What I'm thinking is to tape a piece of cardboard wrapped in handi-wrap to the bottom of the door where's there's missing metal. Whip up a batch of fiberglass and lay a puddle in the bottom of the door, they lay a piece of aluminum in the channel submerged into the glass where's there's missing metal. Let that cure and do it again to clean up and help reinforce the door bottom. I also have a bunch of different sized F-glass mat that I can use too if needed. I may have to do that to get that triangled center section fastened to support the skin to the frame of the door. Then remove cardboard and lay a spread of F-glass, or bondo across the bottom to fill in those rusted out voids and to clean up the bottom.
If I can find a 1-3/4" by 1" angle metal for that inner lip would be great, but I don't think I'll find anything close? That's where I'm going to have to get creative. Think Gunny Highway's you improvise, adapt, and overcome! All rust has been painted with 2 coats of POR-15, so I shouldn't have to worry about any more rust?
I'd like to get this whole project done before the cold front hits but that's not going to happen, I'm going to temporally insulate the bottom of the door until we get some warmer weather in order to do the repair. Even with the door 60% insulated I do notice an improvement out there. I want to stop the condensation on the door!
This door in cold weather is like a very cold beer can on a hot summer day, it sweats like a MoFo which would explain the rust at the bottom!
P1010877.JPG

Then there's this issue of gaposis at the top left corner below the header where the house has settled, I just stuff a old T-shirt to close that up!
P1010881.JPG

The right side for comparison!
P1010882.JPG

Any and all comments, critiques, criticisms, or ideas are welcome!!!!

PEOPLE PLEASE! The door is a ONE PIECE unit, you tell me how it'd be repaired without total replacement?
Well... present us with a better pictures next time? I see you did add additional pictures but you have to remember you're talking to a bunch of guys that cut rusted parts out of cars that were never meant to be replaced and think nothing of it.

The no cutting, welding, quick and easy fix.. stop the rust from spreading and attach a piece of flat bar (angle iron if you want to hide more rust) across the bottom to whatever good metal there is left to gain some strength back and forget it.

Well... present us with a better pictures next time? I see you did add additional pictures

Maybe if people actually looked at pictures instead of just glancing at them, they could see what they are missing by not really looking at them!!!! And then there's the stupid knee jerk replies without saying anything because of their stupidity by just glancing!!

Auto Transport Service
Back