• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letting a car sit

Definitely use Stabil or something like it. modern ethanol laced gas SUCKS.

This is 10 year old gas damage. 1994 F150 that was parked with 1/2 tank. The 8 gallons of fuel that came out was the color of mud and permanently cloudy. The sock filter is completely shellacked shut and glued to the bottom of the tank even though it was 1/2 full. Tank and sender are ruined and the injectors aren't happy but coming back with fresh fuel and some heat in the engine.

20181111_021608.jpg 20181111_021630.jpg 20181111_021708.jpg

What I hate, and it happened last winter, is the garage temps were in the mid 40s and it was in the 30s outside. One day a warm front comes along and it's in the 70s. I kept the garage closed up but everything started sweating. Engine, trans, gas tank. I turned on the heat and had fans blowing everywhere. That really sucks when the temps go up overnight like that.

What I hate, and it happened last winter, is the garage temps were in the mid 40s and it was in the 30s outside. One day a warm front comes along and it's in the 70s. I kept the garage closed up but everything started sweating. Engine, trans, gas tank. I turned on the heat and had fans blowing everywhere. That really sucks when the temps go up overnight like that.
I agree and unfortunately this Winter may well have that type of weather. If you have an unheated space, far better if it gets cold and stays cold.

If you do start it all the condensation has to be burned off or all the exhaust and other parts will start to rust inside out as well as moisture in the pan etc - you can't drive it in the snow so idling for 40 minutes isn't good for it either .
Heat your garage or let it stay cold .

Been fighting that crap for most of my driving life and for the past 25 years, it's been a job keeping my machines clean. My shop has insulated walls which helps a lot but you can't open the doors at all when things are cold inside and the temp and humidity go up outside. Can't wait for that to happen soon as it's in the high 30's here today and the temps never got up above the low 40's. Normal highs for here is the mid 70's for this time of year. Nuts!

Cranky that's still warm -lol it will be minus 25 Celsius here soon or in F minus 13 for you .
Love Texas ..

Ever since I found parts that I'd cleaned rusting already before I got them cleared or installed I've been running a dehumidifier in the shop 24/7 at 35%. I understand the hot to cold and visa versa as there are days in the hangar that I can wash airplanes without a hose. Just wipe them down they are that wet from temperature change and all that cement floor retaining the old temperature. The odd time it's even foggy in the hangar. Unfortunately also where I've had my 'Bird the past few years.

Cover the floor with something under the car .
Do you think a dehumidifier would work in a un heated garage or not much point .
Also wondering would it freeze internally , it's alway a bit warmer in the garage as its attached to the home .

I'm sure a lot of you remember when our cars were
new back in the 60s &70s they sat on dealer lots
outside in heat&cold .
That could be for weeks&yes for months. Granted
we had different gas back then,but pretty much
everything else was the same.
So that being said the things posted above are all
Good ideas,hell I do most all of it,but don't freck
out to much,they are survivors.

Cover the floor with something under the car .
Do you think a dehumidifier would work in a un heated garage or not much point .
Also wondering would it freeze internally , it's alway a bit warmer in the garage as its attached to the home .
My garage sweats terribly. I run a dehumidifier when there is a temperature swing, and I've never had a problem with it freezing up. Shouldn't be a problem if it's attached to the house. If you have one with a hose that runs outside, you may want to make sure the hose doesn't freeze.

+1 all the above. I’ve got impact sockets showing rust, just from warming up garage to do work. Never rusted at work where heat was on 24/7.

Hey neighbor. My plan is filling the tank with non-ethanol fuel, put on jack stands off the tires, continue to run my dehumidifier and set/check mouse traps as always. My garage is surrounded by my home for the most part and stays fairly warm, certainly above freezing

I also run the carb dry as well when I shut it down including the accel pumps.

If you have critters that can potentially invade, after many years of trying the different remedies, dryer sheets, moth balls, etc, I threw an extra 2x4 piece of cedar wood from a swingset I put together on the back seat floor - haven't had a critter since.

Dehumidifier and a circulating fan here. I run 91 octane either way, and tend to work on the car over the winter, so the tires are either off the ground or off the car. I do lay a tarp down under the car when I'm not rolling around down there, if I remember. Never had a problem.

Gas is Rat Piss nowadays. But Stabil will help gas from going bad. If leaving car sitting for a year or more its better to have car suspended on jack stands. Battery with a blade type disconnect or tender is a must to keep battery from dying.

image.jpg
Best to leave the car on its suspension for load distribution, if you cannot fire it up once a month, at least turn the crank a little to avoid corrosive spots on the bearings that could lead to a spun bearing. The carb will dry out on its own within a few weeks with todays fuel, and when the outside air temperature rises fast, the colder metals will sweat, especially those touching cold liquid.

Auto Transport Service
Back