• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

License Plate Restoration - Any recommendations?

I saw a website with a great idea. The hard part is getting the raised letters painted in the accent color. For me in TX, the plate is black with white letters. Prep by removing and fixing any rust or damage. Prime with good primer, several coats. Paint entire plate white, 4-5 good coats. Allow to flash and dry. Spray 4-5 good coats of clear. Let dry overnight. Paint the black with 4-5 coats and again dry overnight.
Wet sand the raised parts of the letters gently with 400 grit or higher. The black will slowly sand off revealing the white underneath. Just don't burn through past the clear and white. The edges will be nice and sharp. Allow to dry and clear coat to seal.

Check with your state's DMV before restoring any plates to use on the street. Some are VERY strict about colors.

C9165AA1-C390-4F9A-81DA-73DD136B1C16.jpeg
I don’t have before pictures, but a friend painted and baked mine. They are nice, clean, but spidered a little and look like the real deal. Aged. Numbers are not as crisp as those pictured in the link. I prefer a more natural look than those that are over-restored. Personal preference.

In California, my area anyway, almost anything goes. A friend with a 70 painted his black with yellow characters years ago. CHIPS Officers seem in their late 20’s running around in Hemi Chargers and not old enough to know or remember what is what on plate colors IMO.

Neat! Illegal here in Ontario to repaint your own plates.
Same here in New Zealand...although some people ignore that. It's also illegal to run a decal for a licence late - quite popular on Euro Sports cars...like Ferrari and Porsche etc.
We have 'personalised plates' here and some are specific colours...and the price reflects the design/colour of the plate.
I have a RED plate, which is among the more pricey versions...but for good reason...

upload_2018-12-21_22-36-49.png

Contact Rivas Pin-stripping (David Rivas) in Santa Ana @ 714-715-3029 or R1va5_pinstriping on Instagram. He also goes to Pomona and Long Beach. Great work, reasonable prices and super nice guy.

Last edited:
In California, my area anyway, almost anything goes. A friend with a 70 painted his black with yellow characters years ago. CHIPS Officers seem in their late 20’s running around in Hemi Chargers and not old enough to know or remember what is what on plate colors IMO.

I graduated from the California Highway Patrol Academy in March/1983. During one of our class sessions on Vehicle Code, the instructor brought out a selection of confiscated license plates that had been painted, modified, or fabricated. Legally, can't touch them up or cover them up with that transparent plastic crap.

custom.jpg

Contact Rivas Pin-stripping (David Rivas) in Santa Ana @ 714-715-3029 or R1va5_pindtripong on Instagram. He also goes to Pomona and Long Beach. Great work, reasonable prices and super nice guy.

Hey Derwud, I believe auto correct just kicked your a$$ on the insta link lol (so does mine, routinely).

These obviously aren't license plates but are very similar as far as techniques go. Just my main supplier has over 6,500 in-stock powders in every conceivable color. Those "other guys" might specialize in painting car tags ... but they probably don't offer a FBBO Discount either << wink >>

FB_IMG_1545406554725.jpg

FB_IMG_1545406569798.jpg

FB_IMG_1545406583720.jpg

Last edited:
My original metal license plate frame from the dealer who first sold my '72 SSP in Fresno, CA needs a redo "Sierra Chrysler Plymouth" (now that would not violate any vehicle code sections).

E84D5873-54B5-4563-8EB5-AAED3E031A3B.jpeg
With the exception of a MC Officer in Burbank who screamed “your plate expired in 1969!” when leaving Bobs Big Boy, I have been getting away with this for years. Current stickers in glove box.

I wonder why the cop did not run the plate through the computer data base first, would have saved himself some embarrassment?

Sticker bought but not on plate, still a full fine here. Same deal with a fishing licence not in your pocket or boat, even though they can look up on their vehicle computer / smart phone that you have one.

SDCoronet,

Did you get your plates restored and if you did who did you go with?

I use year correct plates on all 3 of my cars here in Illinois. I just have to have the current issued plate with me in the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back