• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter not pumped up

MTBRider

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Working on a buddies car that is burning oil on one side only after it warms up and when I pulled the plugs front cylinder on passenger side had a lot of oil on the plug. Took the valve cover off and removed the valve springs to check the seals and they looked great (tight fit and very soft) but I noticed that the intake push rod pushed down easily, compressing the lifter.
All the remaining lifters stay pumped up except for one.
He states the car runs good and doesn’t think it’s missing so I assume the lifter pumps up right at start up but the check valve is failing?
Thoughts? Is it possible this is causing the oil consumption?
Thanks

if the cylinder is not firing the plug will oil foul , the lifter can cause this you can take apart the lifter and clean and check for broken spring or pluged inlet for oil to pump up . you can install a new lifter but you will need to brake it in. so the valve not opening can oil foul the plug.

I had that issue years ago and subsequently noticed 2 oil ring rails hanging on the pegboard over my work bench-WTF! I think I probably was interrupted by something.
Mike

I think I found the problem. Intake lifter broken retaining clip and trashed it. Hopefully the cam is ok.

IMG_5435.jpeg

IMG_5436.jpeg

Wow that lifter sure is a goner. Dang those cheesy snap rings...I can't see how the cam lobe would still be okay but you never know.
What lifter, factory/aftermarket?

Snap ring broke after the lobe and lifter ground down ro smithereens.

The oil burning is likely the cylinders scarred bad from the lifter grindings.
Drain the oil and have a look.
Put a magnet in the drain hole and see what kind of goodies come out

Looking down the hole and feeling it, the cam might be ok. Draining the oil tomorrow to see what I find. I did find the other small part of the clip but I’m sure a bunch of metal went through the system.

Wow that lifter sure is a goner. Dang those cheesy snap rings...I can't see how the cam lobe would still be okay but you never know.
What lifter, factory/aftermarket?
Not sure what brand of lifter but they might be Melling.

Decided to measure the lift on the cam lobe and it’s junk. Only.140 of lobe lift left (by comparison #1 intake has.276).
Going to recommend moving on to a roller cam setup.

Auto Transport Service
Back