• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Line lock- on rear brakes?

Why do you need control of the front brakes during a burnout? Set the line lock. Hit the throttle. When it's spinning release the button. As it rolls out of the water lift off the throttle (your converter will thank you). My burnouts are recorded on the playback tach. Usually 3.4-3.6 seconds.
Doug
If you’re asking me. I need control of my front brakes, because, my line lock valve is activated so that there’s no fluid pressure in the rear brake line. You releasing your button is the same as me releasing my brake pedal. I get off the throttle as I roll out of the water too, like most do. I start in second, immediately to third about a 4 second burnout.
I have seen a car leave with the front wheels up and when it lands the front wheels were still locked. I've seen this a couple of times in the past. Driver error or mechanical failure?
Yikes, I bet there’s a good chance the driver still had the button depressed for some reason.

Last edited:
Technically , they're not allowed to be on the rear in competition. But if tech never looks, and you have no enemies, you are free to do as you wish.
The reason for the rule is, if the rear locks up for any reason, you're toast.View attachment 1400997
Thanks Rem, fair enough, it’s on the list for alteration during engine refresh, easy to do,

I could see that with a standard transmission... forgot to take their finger off the button.
Yes, roll control on to hold the car while he’s on the clutch and throttle.

I have mine on the rear, it works AWESOME, I can use the brake pedal to let the car move forward a little while doing my burn out.

I have seen a car leave with the front wheels up and when it lands the front wheels were still locked. I've seen this a couple of times in the past. Driver error or mechanical failure?

Most likely driver error. I still don't understand why a line lock on the rear wheels. I'm an old school guy, but I don't get it. I know what my front wheel line lock did for me for over 20 years, heat the back tires, what am I missing?

Most likely driver error. I still don't understand why a line lock on the rear wheels. I'm an old school guy, but I don't get it. I know what my front wheel line lock did for me for over 20 years, heat the back tires, what am I missing?
It allows me to do a rolling John Force burn out & put some rubber down :)

Years ago I left with my hand on the line lock button. One front tire was roling, the other was not. Had no idea at the time why the car was pulling to the left. Decided to lift and moved my right hand (which had been resting on the button) to the steering wheel. It made a left NOW! at 117. Nearly put it on the right side tires only. The button now has a fail safe and can only activate once w/o being reset. Be safe guys. Just cause it works doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Doug
I use the same button for the line lock as I do the trans brake. I have a selector toggle switch that has a center off position. I use that off position while street driving due to “the button” being right on top of the shifter handle lol

Yes me too, and my car has it like that. It was like that and I never changed it. It’s got to be for doing john force smoke shows. In my other cars I have the line lock in the front. Having said that, it works great in the rear. Just a good old brake torque in the burnout box, roll out and off the button.

I always thought the line lock was used as a roll stop with a manual trans or so you weren't working against the rear brakes when doing a burnout in an automatic, especially if you had rear disks. I totally see how installing it backwards on the rear line allows you to feather the front brakes while the rears stay off.

I always thought the line lock was used as a roll stop with a manual trans or so you weren't working against the rear brakes when doing a burnout in an automatic, especially if you had rear disks. I totally see how installing it backwards on the rear line allows you to feather the front brakes while the rears stay off.
Works for an automatic, but not so much for a manual

Line lock- on rear brakes?​

Wouldn't you want it also on the front brakes along with a 12vdc timer to be able to leave like a transbrake/delay box car??????????? Especially in a footbrake class.
Asking for a friend.
1673657517196.png

I'm still undecided but leaning towards putting it on rears. I wonder how nhra techs would react if you told them yes the line lock is on the rear line but not being used to lock-in the rears. It's being used as a lock-out the rears. I bet the rule was written with someone locking-in the rears in mind. So that said seems like they might let you run it as long as you're not locking-in the rears. And if something went wrong at speed I'd rather the rears be locked-in than the fronts. Crash is likely either way but still being able to steer somewhat seems a tad better than not. And if they locked-out either the fronts or rears at speed I'd probably rather have just rears working than front. Just fronts working would be squirrely but not a sure crash. All this depending on different handling characteristics and top speeds of each car and how long and safe is the run-off area at each track. Something to consider if you ever worry about slowing, I'd think that (In case of emergency) a parachute is legal on slow cars as well as fast ones.. Lots of good info and insight coming here. Thanks everyone.

Line lock- on rear brakes?​

Wouldn't you want it also on the front brakes along with a 12vdc timer to be able to leave like a transbrake/delay box car??????????? Especially in a footbrake class.
Asking for a friend.
View attachment 1401745
Maybe cause NHRA doesn't permit four wheel line locks?

I've always had the line lock on the front wheels, gonna keep putting them on that way. Not into smoke shows or burnouts for distance on the street.

Auto Transport Service
Back