• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Line lock- on rear brakes?

A bud told me he was putting his line-lock on his rear brakes. I said that's not going to work but he explained that it actually works better. You hit the switch without brakes applied and then you will only have front brakes which you can pedal on an off if/as needed during burn-out. Finish burnout, switch back off and rear brakes now working. Makes since to me, I will be trying this out soon and will report my test results. Anyone else tried this? Anyone see any reason not to do it this way?
Does he plan on backing up to the pre-stage/stage bulbs and then launch it that way? This I have gotta see.!! (assuming this is a rear wheel drive car?)

Does he plan on backing up to the pre-stage/stage bulbs and then launch it that way? This I have gotta see.!! (assuming this is a rear wheel drive car?)
My car has the line lock on the rear. I didn’t install it that way, it was prior to me owning. But it works great.

I’m fine with mine in the rear, I can tell on the brake pedal when my line lock is on or off, pedal is rock solid and at the top with the lock on. My pedal drops an inch as soon as I release the switch after the burnout, I feel it in the pedal as the red LED light on the dash goes out. If it wasn’t allowed due to safety yeah I’d change it.

mines exactly the same. There’s no missing the difference in feel when you let go of the lock. I’ve had one solonoid go out a few years back. It didn’t stick it closed, it just started blowing a fuse when you activated it, telling me the solonoid was shot. Raced the rest of that day with no line-lock. No real big deal.
I like being able to control the rollout from the water box. When you wipe your brain of the way you’ve traditionally understood them to work, and ask yourself what makes the most sense; I personally think it’s a no brainer. Locking out the back makes more sense to me.

Makes sense. I had forgotten that such things still exist.
Yep stock superstock is still a thing.
Like they used to say, "if you can't win a round foot brakin' , grab a trans brake and hope for the best!"

Trans brake? I don't need no stinking trans brake. Sat on it run #6 due to rolling in a tad deep. Run #10, I failed.
Doug

indy runs.png

Last edited:
Transbrakes are FUN, I loved mine, but if you're not willing to beef up EVERYTHING in the drive train about 50%, stick with a foot brake.
I must say, I cut better lights stepping off the button, than off the brake pedal.
My footbrake car has stock drive shaft, and stock axles in an 8 3/4. There is no way anything in my driveline would survive a tranbrake.

Trans brake? I don't need no stinking trans brake. Sat on it run #6 due to rolling in a tad deep. Run #10, I failed.
Doug
I used to bracket race and work to chop down the tree like that but even then it was off a trans brake. Now it’s all heads up and it’s you against the surface. I’m figuring it out slowly. Pretty hard to foot brake 10psi on the leave!

Trans brake? I don't need no stinking trans brake. Sat on it run #6 due to rolling in a tad deep. Run #10,
Doug

View attachment 1402298
doug do you have a spread sheet to keep this info on. i really need a way to keep track of my runs like this.

Run mine for near 15 yrs like this . Gives control in burnout , if car moving around you can ease brakes and drive out slow and easy and straighten up

Tex

I always though that line loc was for 4 speed guys that control rolling through the lights so you can short stage. To each his own you burnout box should be plenty to get the tires hot!:thumbsup:

car.jpg

Not my experience with a 727. I used the line lock on the fronts to keep the car in the water box heating the rear tires to the degree i I wanted. Worked for over 25 years, still today.

I've always had the line lock on the front brakes, it's what I am used to, and not gonna change.
It's obvious from this thread that I can work on the rear too, if setup and procedure is changed. The plus seems to be that the front brakes can be modulated.
So basically, set it up how you want. Burnouts for distance, to show off on the street? Put it on the back.

Well, the "Fred Astaire" footwork required to do a brake assisted burnout in the box with a manual transmission is beyond my capabilities, so that's why I have a line lock on my FRONT brakes. Also, my HitMaster launch control timer is setup to engage when the line lock button is released, and that should work out well, if when I finally make time to get back to the track.
Line lock On to hold car in place for box burnout. Off to roll up and stage, On once I'm staged and off to launch also activates the launch control.

Well, the "Fred Astaire" footwork required to do a brake assisted burnout in the box with a manual transmission is beyond my capabilities, so that's why I have a line lock on my FRONT brakes. Also, my HitMaster launch control timer is setup to engage when the line lock button is released, and that should work out well, if when I finally make time to get back to the track.
Line lock On to hold car in place for box burnout. Off to roll up and stage, On once I'm staged and off to launch also activates the launch control.
In my Camaro my front wheels line lock and 2 step worked together with a toggle switch.
Only made 3 passes ever with it. They said bar time so I said adios. Came back with my Plymouth and line lock in the rear brakes. Starting my 6th year with that Plymouth in 23’.

Auto Transport Service
Back