• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liner stuck in MIG hose.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to get it out or is there going to be a new hose/gun in my near future? Last time to replace the liner was about 20 years ago or so and it was easy. It's a Tweco MIG KWIK M4K connector.

It pulls out from the box end. You have to take the whip out of its socket in the box then pull the liner out from that end - right??

It pulls out from the box end. You have to take the whip out of its socket in the box then pull the liner out from that end - right??
It pulls out from the gun end. I have the hose and all off the machine.... mine has a little set screw that helps hold the liner in flush and that's out too and that's where it seems to be stuck. This machine is about 40 years old and surprised it still works. The switch is bad too but at least it's bad in the on position....

Usually the liner has a brass end on it. The liner slides in from the welder end and you clip off the excess at the gun end. The end with the fitting is part of the conductor but also forms the gas seal. the bare end is the gun end.

aa.jpg

Last edited:
Usually the liner has a brass end on it. The liner slides in from the welder end and you clip off the excess at the gun end.

View attachment 1546591
I even checked it on a video....and there is not even a way to grab the liner from the back. I can unscrew it from the gun and pull it out a little bit but all I'm doing is stretching it.... it even still has wire in it because I couldn't get it out so I just snipped it at the back. I can't see any at the gun end and have a feeling it broke inside the thing and welded itself to the liner if that's possible.....

If you haven't used it in a while and depending on the environment its in it could very well have rusted inside. Rust is common in seldom-used migs. That still doesn't account for the liner itself being stuck.

What brand is the unit ?

If you Google "Tweco liner" they all show that brass end I was referring to. And they all go in from the machine end.

Take your whole whip off and take it in to a welding supply and let them have a look at it.

Keep in mind there is a very short piece of liner that's used in the machine to guide the wire when it exits the rollers. This piece directs the wire through to the brass collar and into the whip liner.

I'm 100% sure the liner does NOT pull out at the gun end.

Was there a set screw there? The gun for my Lincoln has a small set screw that needs to be removed first before you can pull the liner out. Check to see if it's at the other end too. Did you remove the contact tip and what it screws into?

Replacement time!
Yup and did just that!! After tax title and license, drive out was nearly 400 bucks but also bought a compact LED 1400 lumens work light.
I'm 100% sure the liner does NOT pull out at the gun end.
Well, you would be 100% wrong lol. Did you miss where I said how old this rig is? It's a front loading gun....and I'm sure you probably watched the same vids I did. It shows how the 'newer' guns load the liner. I couldn't find anything showing this ancient one but was sure about how it loaded yesterday after getting it off the machine.
Was there a set screw there? The gun for my Lincoln has a small set screw that needs to be removed first before you can pull the liner out. Check to see if it's at the other end too. Did you remove the contact tip and what it screws into?
Yeah and even able to unscrew the diffuser with some of the liner being stretched enough to have some of come out. That diffuser should have come off the end of the liner I would have thought. Anyways, the liner is stuck at the other end where there's a small set screw to keep it from moving and got that out. It wasn't overly tight and just like it should be. I remember the last time when the old liner was getting clogged up and how it acted....feeding roughly but this one was working fine and then nothing. It was after all, 20 years old.

@gkent

Proof that the liner comes out of end of the gun.....just got it out today but I had to murder the machine end to get it to free up.

IMG_20231029_115924202_HDR.jpg

Hey @gkent ......did you not see this or chose to not see it?? You're wrong :D

Something for the MIG users out there. I've used this for many years. A felt piece with a band around it that you soak with this fluid. You can get it at your welding supplier.

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back