• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lining up timing marks

I have had a couple of timing sets that just eye balling didn't work. Using the degree wheel tells the tale.

440 is childs play, when you have to do your timing with dremel tool it's do or die! 102_0011.JPG

I don’t put any motor together without degreeing cam and verifying TDC marks. Rarely are both right on the money!

I wouldn’t put a performance engine together without degreeing the cam, ever…
Every engine I do stock or performance gets degreed!!
I have had a couple of timing sets that just eye balling didn't work. Using the degree wheel tells the tale.
Yup....and know more than a couple of people that's been building engines for years using the 'dot' method and after awhile, they get schooled when things are not machined right. I've seen it too many times to not use a degree wheel on any build I do (did) because you will eventually get a timing set that's not marked/machined like it should be. One doesn't have to be an automotive machinist to see errors in the machining process be it manual or automatic machining process. If one trusts other people's work.....then they will eventually pay the price of failure or sub par performance. If one doesn't know how to degree in a cam or doesn't have the expertise or the tools, then find someone that does. It'll pay dividends......

Here's an example:
My son bought a rebuilt crate 5.9 magnum that had been sitting in a garage poorly stored for years.
One of the cylinders had rust in the bore.
He took it apart and ball honed it cleaned everything up and reassembled.
Bought a Hughes cam and installed it.
We put a dial indicator and degree wheel on it with the "no-name" timing set that came with the engine.
It was 6 degrees retarded (checked it 3 times).
We bought a more expensive multi keyway timing set and with a 4 degree advance slot it was 2.5 degrees advanced.
You never know until you measure it.

Auto Transport Service
Back