• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locked My Keys in My Truck $#&!

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I stopped by Wally World for a couple of things today. Went inside, found what I wanted, came back to my truck, reached into my pocket for my keys and they weren't there. Looked through the passenger side window and there they are, in the ignition. Now what?:BangHead:

I always leave my windows down about an inch so it doesn't get so hot inside. I have the Vent Shades so I don't have to worry about a stray storm popping up and soaking the seats.
20230913_145037.jpg

I tried pulling down on each window without any luck of them moving. I thought about the sliding window in the back of the cab so I hopped up into the back and tried sliding it. It's latched so I tried an old gift card to see if it would slide in between the glass and lift the latch. Well whoever designed it was a smart individual and designed it so nothing can get behind it. I'm not ready to break something just yet.

If I had a long piece of stiff wire I might be able to pull a door handle but I don't have anything. So back in the store I go looking for something to get me out of this jam.

Looked through the garden center. Looked through the outdoor/camping area. Looked through the hardware section. Then I see a pair of fiberglass driveway markers, about 5/16" Dia and four foot long. Kind of short but it's two of them for $3.67. Now I need some tape to fasten them together to make something long enough to reach the opposite side of that cab. One roll of tape, $4.88. (I need some for a project at home anyway)
20230913_142051.jpg

20230913_141800.jpg

Pay for the items and back out to the parking lot. Tape the two rods together, stick it through the opening on the driver's side window and it reaches to the other door. Heck it's almost lined up with the door lock switch! Move it slightly one way, then the other, like an arcade game and I'm on the switch. Give it a push and the doors unlock!
20230913_145113.jpg

There's an hour of my time I'll never get back. I can't remember ever locking my keys in anything, ever. I've unlocked many other people's cars when they forgot their keys. Working in several shops, you'll get calls for this. Also I worked at a hospital and those girls did it every week. It might have been the habit that I have with the company car that has pushbutton start. You jump in and out of the car all day and never use a key. Oh well, hopefully lesson learned.

Let's here some stories you might have about locking keys in a vehicle.

Don't you have any bricks? :lol:

There is a tennis ball hack also - uses air pressure to blow the lock open. You need a hole in the ball first.

Wife called me to bring the spare set of keys...only a 60 mile round trip..

Wife called me to bring the spare set of keys...only a 60 mile round trip..

I've only tried it once years ago but if your wife had a spare remote and you're both on the phone to each other, she can press the unlock button holding it near her phone and you holding your phone close to the car and it will unlock. Not everyone has two remotes.

Don't you have any bricks? :lol:

I had a sister in law who stopped a guy walking by her "locked" car, and asked him to break out her window with a rock she found. He did, and took off running! It was funny until I heard the baby was asleep in the car. :screwy:

I've only locked my keys in a vehicle once in my life. 4 or 5 years ago, I went to a home improvement store, bought a charger booster unit that was a little bulky.
Went out in the parking lot, used the fob to open the trunk of my Dart, but for some reason I kept the keys in my hand while I hefted the box out of the cart into the trunk.
Slammed the trunk closed, went to park the cart, walked back to the car, umm, where are my keys I had in my hand a moment ago? #%!@ I'd dropped them in the trunk with the box!
Checked the car door, locked.
I went inside to ask at the counter if they had any names to call for a lockout. They didn't, but a hispanic guy in line behind me said he could help. He pulled his van up, and he spent 30 minutes with fish tape and a block trying to get the fish tape to the lock and get the door wedged open enough to manuever the fish tape.
He couldn't get enough force on the lock to open, but then formed a loop in the wire and was able to pull the door handle and open the door!
But that made the the alarm went off! I tried the trunk button and the passenger door locks but they were disabled by the alarm.
He then crawled over the seat, pulled the seat back down and was able to reach far enough into my trunk to get the keys!
Then he refused to take money, I forced some bills on him.
At least that one evening, I had a guardian angel!
Hopefully that will be my one and only lockout in my life. Took over 40 years of driving to do it that the one time.

John, John, John....Ya goofy old goat. :lol:
Very improvisational though, I must say. :thumbsup:
Yes, I've locked keys in cars before...I admit it.
As a result, I have a conscious habit of always grabbing the key for whatever I'm driving
in my right hand (they're always put in my right pocket, again by force of habit) when
I'm exiting the vehicle.

I double down on that when out in Fred, ESPECIALLY when I'm closing the trunk.
I STARE at the keys to confirm before allowing that lid to thunk down! :rofl:

Wire coat hanger has helped me to get into a few cars. Many years ago when I worked on carpark ticket machines, I would often be asked to help break into a car that someone had locked themselves out of.
A Tow-truck driver will normally do that - but for a huge fee....I did it for fun....and was on the payroll anyway.

Years ago I had this happen on a 100 degree day after working in it all day. Had to wait till my oldest showed up with the spare keys. Of course our cooler with drinks was inside! Now Our one truck has Keyless entry code and the other has a spare key hidden...

Potty stop in Ludlow california, got out of the truck and bumped the electric door lock as the door closed. Locked out, 50 miles from nearest AAA office. Guy drove out from Barstow, hour and a half round trip, was in my truck about three minutes after he got there.
I now carry two key rings (at least) every ca to AZ trip.

My wife and I went shopping one day earlier this year with our 2020 Grand Cherokee. We both got into the Jeep at the same time, and I pressed the Start button and we were away. We got to the store, and I hit the inside Lock button, as I always do, when exiting the Jeep. We did our shopping and returned to our vehicle. I touched the door handle, and expected it to unlock, but nothing happened. This is when I discovered I did not have my key fob, having left it at home. My wife rummaged through her purse, looking for her fob, with no luck. We looked through the window to see her fob laying on the console effectively kicking us out. This is not supposed to happen. The Jeep has a safety system that is designed to keep one from locking the keys in the vehicle. It senses the fob inside the vehicle and will not allow the doors to lock, and blows the horn as a warning to the driver. This never happened!
I pulled out my CAA card and called for help. Eventually, a tow truck showed up, and the driver had a small inflatable pillow he wedged between the top of the door and the B pillar. Using a small hand held pump, he inflated the pillow, gently forcing the top of the door out enough to insert a thin rod to grab the door release and unlock our Jeep. He said if the battery gets low on the key fob, sometimes the safety feature does not work. We put a new battery in the fob, and have been OK since.

I left the key fob in the rented car when I went back east a few years ago. They only give you one. Called the rental company and they said no problem, where are you located? Within a few minutes the rep said your door should be open now. Unlocked from outer space.

As for my 2000 pickup, I carry an extra key in my wallet. It has come in handy several times.

Auto Transport Service
Back