• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locked My Keys in My Truck $#&!

1694665049864.png

Never leave home without it.

Friend locked himself out of his Duramax with it running, rainy-cold day, wipers on. His dog inside came to the driver’s door to greet him jumping on the armrest hitting the door locks. He was at his son’s house to pick up a tool and the family was gone to work and school. They don’t have a land-line. He tried to get his pooch to jump around some more to maybe unlock the doors, no luck. He lived about a mile and some from his son, so trudged to his house in the rain for his spare key. As he was telling me the story, I said why da hell didn’t you call me as I live about 10 minutes away. His phone was also in the truck..

Locksmiths now use a small air bag to pry the door away from the roof enough to get a fiberglass pole in to push the unlock button.

They sell very similar air bags at the home improvement stores fairly cheap.

A fishing pole works, and could be returned if necessary. A multi-piece pole like the OP could be stored hidden on the car/truck (or a spare key could).

Yeah when I was like 16 on my 68 Charger R/T
a piece of coat hanger & creative bends got it open in less than 15 min.s
I spent more time trying to find a wire coat hanger, then to get it open...

my work trucks all had slim-Jims as std. equipment from me...
like @MarPar said never leave home without it

I know I've done it again too,
I think it was my 94 F250 work truck
may have been later in my 95 Power Ram 2500 4x4
I had one of my guys come over & he had the std option slim-Jim
I put in every toolbox, great idea if the toolbox isn't looked also, doh !!
I started carrying my toolbox keys separately...

Last edited:
Nice ingenuity, kid! :thumbsup:

Our county deputies and city officers still unlock vehicles as a courtesy.

Nice ingenuity, kid! :thumbsup:

Our county deputies and city officers still unlock vehicles as a courtesy.

Working at a hospital (maintenance/grounds) a lady pulls in under the emergency entrance, jumps out and runs around to the other side, pulls on the door handle and it's locked. Her husband is in the passenger seat having a heart attack. She runs back to the driver's side and it's locked. I happened to see what was taking place and remembered a state trooper car sitting in the ER parking lot. I ran inside, alerted the nurses there was a code blue outside, found the trooper and asked him if he had a slim jim. He ran out to his car and returned to open her door, first try! I found out later that the husband was doing okay. That was a tense moment!

Got you beat. Locked myself out of my truck twice in one day and i was away from home in a different town. Talk about pissed. First time i had to pay a locksmith. Second time i remembered just when the door was shutting and it only partially shut but still locked. I was able to fish it open with a coat hanger that time. I've had a hidden key box ever since.

I lock my keys in about once a year or so.

Last time I locked them in the Satellite at the liquor store, I found a stack of those annoying push in the ground sign holders in the dumpster of the real estate office next door.
I bent them into a hook and pulled the lock. A little big and I was afraid of tearing up my weather strip, but it worked and I skated on the weatherstrip.

...and I found a use for the rest of those sign holders- I use them to prop up my pineapples when they get too heavy and start to fall over.
It's actually the perfect tool for that. I had been using wooden stakes in a X or H shape, but they kind of sucked to pound into the ground.
The sign holders are super easy and just the right height.

Last edited:
I have a key cut then cut ears off and tape into the wiring so you can not tell it is there
Only needed it once on my jeep

I used to never lock my doors......if you want what's inside bad enough, just take it; please don't break my window

but now I ALWAYS lock my doors, especially at home; which pisses me off...... but there has been a serious uptick in illegals and meth heads walking up and down the street, and I don't want some scumbag sleeping in my Durango

Rebel gives them all ****, which is a major deterrent

I have a key cut then cut ears off and tape into the wiring so you can not tell it is there
Only needed it once on my jeep

That's a good idea.....but now your secret is out.

I'm not telling what mine is.

I absolutely used to say- "nothing inside my car is as valuable as a window".

Let's here some stories you might have about locking keys in a vehicle.

In 1979 I opened the trunk to my Charger, set my only set of key inside, and closed the lid. As the lid was going down I realized what I had done, but it was too late to stop the momentum of the lid closing. Of course, it was the only set I had, so I had to take out the back seat to rescue them.

Not a big deal, but I'm all about continual learning and self-improvement, so I adopted a new habit: Any time I open the trunk or shut off the car the keys immediately go in my pocket or I slip the key ring onto my finger. 44 Years later, it has yet to happen again.

I used to never lock my doors......if you want what's inside bad enough, just take it; please don't break my window

but now I ALWAYS lock my doors, especially at home; which pisses me off...... but there has been a serious uptick in illegals and meth heads walking up and down the street, and I don't want some scumbag sleeping in my Durango

Rebel gives them all ****, which is a major deterrent

I was living on the other side of town for awhile and I parked behind the house close to an alley. I always locked my car for the two years that I lived there.

One morning I got in my car and the center console lid was open. I then noticed my glove box was open and a case of CDs were gone. Apparently I forgot to lock the car the night before after carrying groceries to the house. It goes to show that they check car doors all the time until the one time you forget to lock it.

My '91 Daytona will unlock the door when you pull the interior handle; it has the little plunger thingy on the windowsill. It also auto-locks when you hit 15mph. You know - for "safety". Anyhoo, over the years that "unlock" feature has developed a glitch - it'll unlock enough to let me OUT, but I guess linkage wear over the years or something has made it so now, it doesn't unlock enough to let me back IN.

Earlier this season I was driving to work. It'd been stored for a bit and I keep it on a battery tender; I'd unplugged the tender and backed it out of the garage, but shelving keeps me from opening the hood while its IN the garage.

I forgot to tuck the charger cord, and close the hood all the way.

I was a couple miles up the road, hit a small dip, and saw the hood bounce up and down and realized it was on the secondary latch. Stopped, got out (the door "unlocked" enough to let me out), tucked the cord, shut the hood....and realized I was locked out of the car. The...running car.

The lock plungers are kinda T-shaped, and have a large head on them to grab with something...but I was in the middle of BFE. I had the door wedged open at the top, using my fingers, and stuffed a piece of branch in there to hold it open. I tried pine branches, pieces of sticks, whatever I could find - nothing would hit my power lock button and nothing would grab the plunger. Finally a couple cars went by, one guy stopped (I do carry a gun but figured that would be a....poor way to stop traffic lol), and I asked if he had a coat hangar. He actually did. I was able to put the right shape hook on the end, and get the right angle to the hangar itself, to get it in the door, keep it close to the window, hook under the head of the plunger, and pop it open.

Normally at home, I leave keys in ignitions, in the garage. No hunting, no "what car is this key for" (everything I have is a Mopar of one generation or another), and I have windows only cracked to help fight critters/mice/etc. This Daytona, though? Now I have a hook on the wall next to where it gets parked, and the key goes on that hook BEFORE I close the car. In the garage, it isn't that big a deal - I have spare keys in the house - but it's a habit-builder and SHOULD help keep me from doing that again. Anytime I have the car out, and park it for a second (get mail out of the mailbox, whatever), I make sure the window is OPEN all the way before I get out.

9 times out of 10? I have to pull that damn plunger up to get back in.

I used to think I was hitting it with my arm on the way out, and partially pushing it in, but I know for a fact now that isn't the case...and I've learned my workaround!

Chrysler used to do "emergency" keys like a credit card - it was plastic, like a card, but had a key blank in it held by those little bits like a plastic model kit when the parts are on the frame. Theory was, the plastic was thin enough it would "self-cut" when you used it. I used to have the one for the Daytona, but it vanished decades ago...and I have too damn many cars to keep spare keys in my wallet all the time! Daytona, minivan, Wrangler, Ram, Charger, Satellite...that's a LOT of weight in a wallet!

Other thing I have to be concerned about if leaving the car unlocked in the driveway is the home link system schmucks would be smart enough to check to open the garage doors. Years ago when I still played golf, one night I forgot to lock my car and the dipshit(s) found the remote trunk button inside the glove box stealing my clubs. The ones I just got back from Ping paying lots of cash having fitted for me, and my dad’s ancient-pristine sand wedge. Never even got to use the clubs yet, and wedge was most painful to lose being given to me by my dad who had used it since the 40’s.

Despite five others having stuff stolen from their cars in the subdivision that night, went through a Spanish inquisition by the police about any financial difficulties I might have, job loss, problem with the wife, etc. I was a bit peeved as I also had an idea who may have done the car ‘entries’ suggesting they check into it. Small stuff to them and a bitch for them to go anywhere with it anyway.

Another reason I despise thieves and wish people who steal **** will receive what they deserve sooner or later.

Auto Transport Service
Back