• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locker installation 8.75" 741 Rear End

al_wildman

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
I bought an Eaton locker already installed in a Mopar carrier. I'm planning on installing my existing ring gear on the new carrier and then just worrying about the lash (since I'm not touching the pinion depth). From what I know, there will be no need to verify the gear mesh pattern, etc. Can anybody definitively verify or refute this approach?

Thanks

It wouldn't be a bad thing to just double the lash after you cross the gears over, technically if you use all the same shims you should be good

Thanks for the response. Did you mean "double check" my lash with a dial indicator? Since I'm not altering pinion depth, I'm not planning on checking the pattern.

If you are reusing gears if the pattern is not exactly the same it will be noisy

Nobody seems to understand my question. If I do not change pinion depth, is it necessary to use the pattern grease to verify pattern or not? I know I have to put lash/backlash back within specs.

If you are using different gears then yes I would take a pattern reading even if you use the same shims over. If you can read the + or - numbers on both gear sets you will know if they are the same tolerance. You are also changing the pinion gear right but just using the same shims as I read it ? Ron

Hello, Ron.
No, I am using the same ring and pinion, just bolting my old ring gear to the new carrier, which already contains the Eaton locker plates and good bearings. I realize there will be manufacturing tolerance differences between the two carriers, but I'm thinking that is accounted for when you reset the lash/ backlash.

Oh ok I thought you were using a different ring and pinion. I can tell you when I put my Detroit Locker in my 489 case 8-3/4 I did just what you want to do. I unbolted the ring gear from the carrier and bolted it to the new Locker carrier and put the carrier in the case and bolted it up. Thats all I did was take out the old carrier and bolt the ring gear on the new locker carrier and bolted the carrier in and set the carrier bearings preload and backlash. I did take a pattern and it came out good as I had set the rear up before to a good pattern and it came out looking the same and has been in the car about 5 years now. And it did not and does not make any noise. Good luck with yours , Ron

Did the same thing myself, Al.....when I took out an Auburn posi and installed a Detroit locker re-using original gears and leaving pinion assembly where it was...

Just CHECKED the pattern and set up the lash.....

Has been fine for 3 years...

Splicer

Auto Transport Service
Back