• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loctite on header bolts?

Car #4

Local time
7:04 PM
Reaction score
I have to replace a leaky header gasket. I have aluminum heads. Should I put a drop of blue Loctite on the header bolts?

No, because after a few heat and cool cycles you need to snug up the bolts again.

The way to release loctite is with heat..... So using loctite on exhaust which is going cause those bolts to be well above the release temperature seems like a foolish endeavor..

Even lock washers fail where heat is present. Possibly star washers could work as they bite into the mettal on both sides? Studs with their fine threads seem to work a bit better than bolts but still need re torqed now and then.

Never had any of these back out...

19976-1216991534070.jpg

How hot do the bolts get anyway, being in the water jacket? This is good for 450 degrees. But removing them later could be an issue.
1707681071466.png

I have the same bolts/locks as post #6 with Remflex gaskets, never a leak.

How hot do the bolts get anyway, being in the water jacket? This is good for 450 degrees. But removing them later could be an issue.
View attachment 1607562
Was gonna say, as I've never touched a set of aluminum heads.... do they have WET stud/bolt holes? Then you need some permatex sealer on them...

The only wet hole aluminum heads I've seen are mopar stage VI. And no to loctite on header bolts. Just retighten once in a while till they settle.

Auto Transport Service
Back