• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 68 sport satellite

Any shop that quotes a "frame off" paint job on a Mopar would not be getting my money.
Was quoted on phone on doing a frame off paint job est 15k at shop labor rate of $55hr is this the going rate???
Was quoted on phone on doing a frame off paint job est 15k at shop labor rate of $55hr is this the going rate???

15K is a lot. But paint is expensive. If the guy is talking "frame off" for a Mopar, he doesn't know much. Good luck.

I'm new to this frame off ... so what is good price for this or to ask these guys that do this kind of work??

Traditional cars used to be built with body on frame. Chrysler was one of the first to go with a unibody (unitized chassis). Technically there is a sub frame, but the firewall, floorpan, rocker panels, etc make the 'frame' of most Mopars (and most all cars built today). Anyhow, that is why you are getting the frame off comments.

'Frame Off' can be used as a slang for body disassembly, although I do not believe they would disassemble the body and paint for $15,000. I'd ask more questions about what you get for $15,000 as far as metal work and prep, paint materials, etc.

Although you did not ask for my advice, I'll offer it anyway. You have not had the car long, and generally speaking paint and body should be one of the last big bucks you send on a car. I'd get to know the car a bit better, see what else it needs mechanically, see how reliable and satisfied you are over some time, then think cosmetics. In the meantime, research some shops. Believe it, or not, many dealership body shops have guys that take on side work. This could be good, or it could be 'paint jail' (you won't see your car finished for many years). Ask around at cars shows who has performed the paint jobs, and get information.

Take your time on the paint job work!

I'm new to this frame off ... so what is good price for this or to ask these guys that do this kind of work??

I'm not saying it is a bad price if it includes body work, but frame off is a buzz word that shops like to throw around to sound knowledgeable. Mopars are unibody, i.e. there is no frame as all the pieces are structural to a degree. If a body shop does not realize this, I would be hesitant to trust them.

I also am suspect of them giving you a price without even seeing the car or going over in detail what needs done. I have read too many horror stories of guys getting ripped off and having their cars sit collecting dust or getting charged top dollar for glass over rusty panels. Get references and have them give you a written estimate for time and payment.
Just my honest opinion.

The more you guys talk the more I'm thinking of getting the drive train, brakes, suspension where I want it an the interior an keep the paint for last. Thanks for all the advice I'm heading to Carlisle this weekend hope for parts..

Get the hard parts - drive train, suspension, brakes where you want them, then think about paint (very expensive). If it looks good from 20 feet, you can wait for perfection.

Auto Transport Service
Back