• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a fully restored 1966 Plymouth Satellite 383 tomorrow any idea what a fair price is these days? My mind is still stuck in 2012.

tonyp25

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
So a guy right down the road has had his satellite for sale a long time. He started at 40k and is now down to asking 27k. It was an original 273 and now has a super commando 383 in it. Car was fully restored (frame off resto) a little over a decade ago. All original documentation, receipts, etc… come with it.

I have a ton of projects going on but with the guy being so close I figure it’s worth a look. I’d really be a player more near 20k. Not sure what you guys think…I know that a frame off resto these days would prolly run me north 40k if I could even find all the parts. But not sure how sought after or collectible the 66’ is.

I have a hard time sorting out selling prices from asking prices to guage values. That said he's probably at fair market value if it's truly an A+ resto based on asking prices ive seen. I'd say 25 is a good deal and 20 you stole it.

unibody.jpg
"Frame-off" does not apply to our Mopars...
Oh - the car also should be referred to as a "resto-mod" or some such rather than a restoration
due to the transplant of the engine.

Best of luck in the pursuit of the car, though! :thumbsup:

I have a hard time sorting out selling prices from asking prices to gauge values. That said he's probably at fair market value if it's truly an A+ resto based on asking prices ive seen. I'd say 25 is a good deal and 20 you stole it.
Agreed,
I was always a closet fan of the body style. Untill I bought mine in Oct 2020. Now, Im hooked. And have no desire to own anything else.

So I am one who watches the 66-67 cars pretty close in regards to asking prices and how long it takes or if it sells at all.

Auto or 4spd ?
Color combination will play a very big part on how fast and how much it sells for

pm sent

If you like and want this car, I wouldn't start at 20K. I would start at 22K so that he believes you are serious and negotiate from there. If I were in the sellers shoes, you would probably get run off with a low ball offer. Guage your surroundings at his place and and see if there are any must sell indicators there. The longer you look around and find information or steer the conversation toward that information before making a offer, the better off you will be.

View attachment 1520191
"Frame-off" does not apply to our Mopars...
Oh - the car also should be referred to as a "resto-mod" or some such rather than a restoration
due to the transplant of the engine.

Best of luck in the pursuit of the car, though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for this! I was struggling with the lingo. I believe it was a rotisserie restoration at the time but it confused me since they didn’t “restore” it to the build sheet. I would imagine it’s more expensive to restore it exactly to the day it was built and that it’s pricier on vehicles that can have their bodies separated from their frames.

A 66 would just be a "commando".
I would have to look at the car.
But if it's really well done his number is pretty good.

So a guy right down the road has had his satellite for sale a long time. He started at 40k and is now down to asking 27k. It was an original 273 and now has a super commando 383 in it. Car was fully restored (frame off resto) a little over a decade ago. All original documentation, receipts, etc… come with it.

I have a ton of projects going on but with the guy being so close I figure it’s worth a look. I’d really be a player more near 20k. Not sure what you guys think…I know that a frame off resto these days would prolly run me north 40k if I could even find all the parts. But not sure how sought after or collectible the 66’ is.
If they took the body off the frame, I would pass on it. Unitbody.

Satellite was a well-equipped car with bucket seats and console. Non-original paint colour should not be an issue, since powertrain has already been changed. Just make sure it is a colour you can live with. I would likely pay more for a car with a well done engine upgrade and attractive paint change, than for wimpy original motor and ugly original paint colour. Mid-twenties price sounds about right.

A 66 would just be a "commando".
I would have to look at the car.
But if it's really well done his number is pretty good.

So I’ve read a few things that state the difference between a 383 commando and a 383 super commando was just 2bbl vs. 4bbl. Is there no such thing as a 383 super commando? Unless I can really see the block numbers I won’t know. It has a 383 super commando air cleaner sticker but that can be had for $20 on eBay.

There was no 383 two barrel engine option in a 1966 Satellite.

The 2 barrel big block engine option was a 361, which still got "Commando V8" emblems on the fenders.

There was no 383 two barrel engine option in a 1966 Satellite.

The 2 barrel big block engine option was a 361, which still got "Commando V8" emblems on the fenders.

I saw that when looking up the stock options for a 66 but I have no reason to believe the engine he put it in was even from 66.

I guess I’ll find out shortly if he has “all” documentation on it. I was seeing other Plymouth years that designated 383 from commando to super commmando by the number of barrels it had but I could definitely be wrong! I also think it’s mostly likely just a sticker he liked.

Tp25, if you can find a "frame off" restoration, Complete with drivetrain, and required parts, for $40K, let Me Know. I have a '65 Sedan, for my next project, and I'm close to that just with the car, engine, rear end, interior materials, and various items needed to move forward. And that's with Everything still needing tear down, and rebuilding, body & paint, engine, and finding a transmission...

I know this is in a different price range, but if I wasn’t up to my shoulders in my 66 Charger and 67 Coronet R/T I’d be all over this:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1966-plymouth-belvedere-clearwater-fl-2719376

The Petty Blue and 383 4Speed is a great combo, then add original paint…

If the car is in "show" condition then his price probably about right. I have one that is in closer to "driver" condition that if I were going to sell it I'd probably ask around $27,000.

It doesn't really matter if it's a Commando, Super Commando or whatever. It's not the original engine but as long as it runs and performs good it's a step up from the 273. This year/model is something you either love or hate as far as body styles go. They just don't bring the big dollars that the 68/69 Chargers, Super Bee's etc bring. That said if you really like the car it won't hurt anything to make an offer on it that fits your budget. When I make what I consider a little bit low offer I tell the guy it's likely worth what he's asking but I just don't have that kind of money to spend on it. I have never made anybody mad when I do that. What really pi$$es people off is if you tell them their car isn't worth what they are asking. It's pretty much a guarantee that you won't get the car. BTW, I don't lowball anyone. I just don't do it and don't like when it's done to me. I've closed the garage door and walked away from a few guys and told them it's not for sale to them at any price. Good Luck with the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back