• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at an A12

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
Looking at an A12. The engine was replaced but I’m a little confused about the stampings on the engine pad. Wondering if you guys could shed a little light . S 440?, casting on block is clearly 1/18/69, clean pad above the oil pan rail. Any info on the top engine pad and correlation to the casting date would help. I know the WT is water test but that’s about it.
Thanks Dan

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9819.jpeg

IMG_9824.jpeg

It looks like a good 440 block to me. It has the stiffening ribs. Some guys like to see a casting date before the scheduled build date of the car. I ain’t one of them.

Oh… and it says “HP”. Again, that doesn’t really mean anything 50 years later.

It looks like a good 440 block to me. It has the stiffening ribs. Some guys like to see a casting date before the scheduled build date of the car. I ain’t one of them.
What’s your take on the S440? Something cast in 69 shouldn’t that be a an E

Things could have changed with the engine over the years but if it still has the Six Pack guts it should have a damper like this...
1001051.jpg

S is a service block replaced by the dealer under warrantee... or many years later by on owner to lead you to believe that. Is the pan rail "pad" still milled or smooth?

Well, my comment has been covered already. Glad I read them all.
S=service (warranty replacement). That's why no Vin on the pan rail.
A12 would be a 69 1/2, light rod motor, neutral balancer. 70-up v code would be a heavy rod motor with a counterweighted balancer.

S is a service block replaced by the dealer under warrantee... or many years later by on owner to lead you to believe that. Is the pan rail "pad" still milled or smooth?
That picture of the pan rail pad is low resolution but appears to be milled and blank

Well, my comment has been covered already. Glad I read them all.
S=service (warranty replacement). That's why no Vin on the pan rail.
A12 would be a 69 1/2, light rod motor, neutral balancer. 70-up v code would be a heavy rod motor with a counterweighted balancer.
All ‘70-‘72 440 “HP” stamped engines, including the 4 bbl. I believe.

I don't know for sure what got, and what didn't get, the heavy rods. I have heard of motorhome engines with "six pack" rods.
All I know is that my A12 has got standard weight LY 440 rods in it. (With maybe a little factory romance added. )

69 440 6 engine normal balancer and rods .......1970 heavier balancer and rods .....looks like a replacement engine to me with no vin

I don't know for sure what got, and what didn't get, the heavy rods. I have heard of motorhome engines with "six pack" rods.
All I know is that my A12 has got standard weight LY 440 rods in it. (With maybe a little factory romance added. )
I pulled a 440 out of a 1970 4 door New Yorker back in the mid 80’s. It had the dual snorkel “TNT” air cleaner. It had the heavy rods, pork chop balancer, windage tray, and weights on the converter. F440 HP2 on the pad. I forgot to check the VIN on the dash. I guess it would have been CH43U0.

Agree with dadsbee.

S is over the counter service block.
Doesn't necessarily mean warranty block.

As mentioned E was assembled for 1969 model year applications

As stated above the heavy six pack parts didn't start till 1970

Auto Transport Service
Back