• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice on a Cam for 426 Hemi

problem with experts is finding one that builds the application that you want to build
I relied on BIG JOE the late Joe Sherman for SBC cam advice= he built and dynoed many many over the years
I'd say I'm an expert on 413-440 Motorhomes and later 360 mtorhomes/ trucks/ marine
which translates to street daily driver builds
I did do some hemis and Stage v conversions but did not get into picking the customers cams much, some early fuel motors-so what
I did work on some road race 303s and 340s 50 years ago
make me an expert today?
I worked on round and round AMC's sort of a lost art tocay
did lots of machine work and listened to customers Buick head SBC all kinds of od ball stuff
There is no doubt your knowedgable with this stuff,talking with Dwayne @ PRH could be very helpfull as he is familiar with the latest and greatest grinds available.I was able to get inti the high 9's with rock stock iron heads and now have aluminum fueler heads and testing and tuning. It's always best to research and get the best bang for your bucks:thumbsup:
Listening to the video
he is spot on on using flow for lift
using sound to pick
bigger is definately not better- luv it
so far nothing about the spring giving pressure back but in general he's right
agree with him on long rods
I do think rod ratio makes a difference on where you wet your valve events
say 318 vs 440 stroker are quite different (or 3" stroke 5.7 rod vs 383/ 400)
what he says about duration fitting to rpm range you need

Thanks, I am definitely leaning that way. I have TTI's on my Cuda (416 SB) and they fit awesome. I just wish Mancini had free shipping like Summit.

I am leaning pretty much towards the Voodoo cam, but I have to talk to an old builder here in WA that can really spec out a cam and has a source for a custom grind, so I might end up there. I thought I had lifters (still might) but what I have is Johnson HT-2011 and I have not figured out if they are intended for a Hemi. I suspect they are as I think most Mopar use similar lifters, but regardless I am going to get new lifters either way, not worth trying to use unknown or suspect parts.

HT 2011 is what you are going to get no matter who you get them from
except eaton made in mexico
you know there are TWO johnson lifter companies
you want the one that ISKY and Crower use
lots of non eaton offshore junk out there
as I've said check out the Crower "lube saver" style lifter- Rhodes also makes them or it an easy DIY if you have a magnetic base grinder and a v block
Everybody knows someone who can do a custom cam
chose the grinder that has developed their own masters as quality declines with copies
and you do not want any radical lobes in a hemi street motor
comes down for me, for hyd Lunati as you say, or Engle who has three different severity of lobes available and lots of hemi experience and Crower
go over to FABO and PM Dart19666 at crower- they have a long list of not in the catalog grinds
Most of the others just have race stuff experience which does not help
cheers

Auto Transport Service
Back