• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for any info on a 69 383

jburt

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
maybe you guys can give me some info. 1969 rr 383 4 speed. the engine is pretty much stock. stock cam,.030 over pistons,906 heads,stock intake,650 holley with vac. sec. stock hi perf exhaust manifolds. mopar electronic ignition with the orange box. what should i be looking for as per timing,total timing and just curious, whats the range my vac. should be at idle? it runs good but as always, i think it should run better. thanks for any input.

Timing should be set where that motor likes it best. If it's really a "stock" cam, you should pull 18-20" at idle. Maybe a bit more.

thanks, im at 15 degrees at idle and at 14" of vac at idle. the cam is just abit over stock with a pretty smooth idle. i was just wondering about timing because when you set it factory specs its a pig. thanks

Well.....the timing needs to be set where the motor runs the best. That may be in conflict with the specs. Also, it's possible that (if you didn't build the motor) they degreed the cam, but instead of using the cam "buttons" they used an offset crank key, which will move your ZERO off of TDC

thanks for the info. the crank key is a regular key. dont get me wrong,at 15 it runs great but im just greedy. thanks,mike

You might have a lower than optimal cranking compression pressure. If it blows 130 PSI or so then that would explain it wanting 15 deg initial. Some of my 383's liked it there and ran great. Just keep the total at 36 deg.

I would go as 69 ROADRUNNER suggested "Where the motor likes it best", the way to do this is at about 600 RPM idel adjsut the timming to where the engine idels the freeest.
Then take the car for a drive if the motor pings under accerlation set the timming back a couple degrees, if the engine is hard to crank hot turn it back a little more. Make a note of the timming each time. I would supect you will end up around 14-12 degrees.

Auto Transport Service
Back