• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND Looking for bronze tip fuel pump pushrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG-A

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Trying to get the car back together for Turkey Rod run and need a bronze tip, fuel pump pushrod for a 440. I have checked with all available resources and evidently they all are on backorder. Thanks in advance.

ARP manufacturing has told me if I can get a group of people interested in the bronze tip push rods, they’ll cut down the Chevy ones. Chevy ones are bigger in diameter and longer.

Sounds like it would be easier to just buy one and cut it or have someone cut it down. That way you'll have what you need right now.

Tom

Are you running a billet cam? I have several OEM stock rods......

I wonder if cutting them would remove the hardening that's applied when heat treating?

Mancini is advertising the CompCam. Don't see backorder but you never know.

Comp Cams Brass Fuel Pump Pushrod
True.

I read Comp Cams brass tip fuel pump push rod has bad reviews they don’t last 800 to 1000 miles.

Are you running a billet cam? I have several OEM stock rods......
Yes sir, switched to a hydraulic roller
I wonder if cutting them would remove the hardening that's applied when heat treating?

Mancini is advertising the CompCam. Don't see backorder but you never know.

Comp Cams Brass Fuel Pump Pushrod
called them, expected ship date was 2nd week of November. I’ve had one on order with Summit racing and the expected delivery date changed twice now.

Yes sir, switched to a hydraulic roller

called them, expected ship date was 2nd week of November. I’ve had one on order with Summit racing and the expected delivery date changed twice now.
My girlfriend’s father has a Howards pushrod on order since July, the date changed several times. I called Howard‘s, they told me it’s hard getting in the material. So it might be summer.

I call BS on that. I am involved in the production of every kind of CNC machined product you can envision and I can't see any delay in sourcing the appropriate material to make them from. I see two issues here. First is that Howard's like Comp Cams doesn't make any of the products they sell except actually grinding the cams. Every single other part is outsourced from some other company. Comp Cams has all their valve spring retainers made by a company in Missouri and they buy valve seals from PEP. Second most companies that they outsource from are not going to make 10-20 parts and probably have a minimum order or it's not worth the time to setup the machine for the run. I would bet money Howards ar banking orders until they get close to at least a break even point in placing an order. As hard as it is to imagine in our Mopar world we are playing with dinosaurs and we are getting closer to extinction. As it is we are still lucky we can buy parts for them.

Tom
That makes sense, I wondered why they can sell fuel pump push rods for Chevies and not MOPAR’s. Tom, can you machine ARP Chevy push rods to MOPAR specs? That would truly help the Mopar hobby. I knew Howards grinds their cams, they don’t make any of their products, they outsource the other products.

My girlfriend’s father has a Howards pushrod on order since July, the date changed several times. I called Howard‘s, they told me it’s hard getting in the material. So it might be summer.

I call BS on that. I am involved in the production of every kind of CNC machined product you can envision and I can't see any delay in sourcing the appropriate material to make them from. I see two issues here. First is that Howard's like Comp Cams doesn't make any of the products they sell except actually grinding the cams. Every single other part is outsourced from some other company. Comp Cams has all their valve spring retainers made by a company in Missouri and they buy valve seals from PEP. Second most companies that they outsource from are not going to make 10-20 parts and probably have a minimum order or it's not worth the time to setup the machine for the run. I would bet money Howards are banking orders until they get close to at least a break even point in placing an order. As hard as it is to imagine in our Mopar world we are playing with dinosaurs and we are getting closer to extinction. As it is we are still lucky we can buy parts for them.

Tom

I call BS on that. I am involved in the production of every kind of CNC machined product you can envision and I can't see any delay in sourcing the appropriate material to make them from. I see two issues here. First is that Howard's like Comp Cams doesn't make any of the products they sell except actually grinding the cams. Every single other part is outsourced from some other company. Comp Cams has all their valve spring retainers made by a company in Missouri and they buy valve seals from PEP. Second most companies that they outsource from are not going to make 10-20 parts and probably have a minimum order or it's not worth the time to setup the machine for the run. I would bet money Howards are banking orders until they get close to at least a break even point in placing an order. As hard as it is to imagine in our Mopar world we are playing with dinosaurs and we are getting closer to extinction. As it is we are still lucky we can buy parts for them.

Tom
Tom see my reply above to your other one. I’d rather have ARP quality material. Anyway, I’m just trying to find a machine shop to turn them down.

That makes sense, I wondered why they can sell fuel pump push rods for Chevies and not MOPAR’s. Tom, can you machine ARP Chevy push rods to MOPAR specs? That would truly help the Mopar hobby. I knew Howards grinds their cams, they don’t make any of their products, they outsource the other products.

My first answer would be no for the same reason as the other companies. I have CNC lathes setup to run thousands of parts in a run and production booked for months into the future. The other issue is I've never looked into one of these fuel pump pushrods since I only run electric fuel pumps. However I am making a note on my to do list to at least look into it. No promises, but I will at least look and see what kind of can of worms I could get into by saying Yes.

Tom

I just looked at the ARP website and it states that their Chevy fuel pump pushrods are not for use with roller cams, as they do not offer bronze tipped fuel pushrods. The other issue I have already seen is most of them are made from a thin wall tubing with the one end welded shut and the other end they pressed a bronze tip in. Since the Mopar rod is smaller on both ends it would cut away all of the wall thickness or make the tubing to thin for a reliable service. So looks like you can forget trying to cut a Chevy part down.

The hot set up would be to use a hollow carbon fiber tube cut to size and then turn a piece for the one end from 4140 PH (Pre Hard) rod. Then turn the piece for the other end from Bronze and epoxy the end pieces into the tube. This would be the ultimate pushrod, or the tube could just be made from 4140 thick wall tubing. However if I wanted one for myself the carbon fiber tube would be the direction I would pursue.

Tom

Last edited:
I just looked at the ARP website and it states that their Chevy fuel pump pushrods are not for use with roller cams, as they do not offer bronze tipped fuel pushrods. The other issue I have already seen is most of them are made from a thin wall tubing with the on end welded shut and the other end they pressed a bronze tip in. Since the Mopar rod is smaller on both ends it would cut away all of the wall thickness or make the tubing to thin for a reliable service. So looks like you can forget trying to cut a Chevy part down.

The hot set up would be to use a hollow carbon fiber tube cut to size and then turn a piece for the one end from 4140 PH (Pre Hard) rod. Then turn the piece for the other end from Bronze and epoxy the end pieces into the tube. This would be the ultimate pushrod, or the tube could just be made from 4140 thick wall tubing. However if I wanted one for myself the carbon fiber tube would be the direction I would pursue.

Tom
I never noticed that about ARP, Summit described it having a bronze tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back