• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on max wedge stuff.

1994redram

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
I usually post on FABO.com. But have come across some big block/max wedge stuff and figured this forum would be more suited.

I found an old '69 dart drag car down the road from me a few years back. I've inquired about it over the years without any luck, until now. The guy that was building the car passed away 20 or so years ago and the car and parts have sat untouched since. His wife is now ready to sell some parts and possibly the car! The are a set of 286 cast max wedge heads in the trunk that appear to be untouched stock heads. They're complete with valves, springs, etc. I'm not sure about the rockers, shafts, or stands yet, I have more digging to do. There is also an aluminum crossram max wedge intake in the trunk. Just the intake, no linkage, carbs or air cleaners. The short block was loaded up and brought home with me to disassemble and ID. It's a '77 date code 440 that's bored .080 over with aluminum rods and pistons. Everything checked out and measured up to be a 522 ci short block. No idea of the brand of the parts, however there is an empty Ross racing piston box in the trunk of the car. So I assume that's what is in it.

I don't have any use for the big block stuff. And figured I could help market and sell this stuff instead of letting it rot away. I plan on going back over when I have more time and picking up the heads and getting better pics. What is a ballpark value on this stuff? Would anyone be interested in any of it?
imagejpeg_0_2.jpg
IMAG1144.jpg
20160820_111751.jpg

Very cool find. When you find out what is there post some pics and info in the For Sale section. I'm sure somebody will be interested. Good luck.

I got the heads and intake home with me. I spoke with the deceased husbands friend that was helping build the car. He says the heads were checked for cracks and had the guides, seals, and retainers replaced. Unfortunately that was 20+ years ago and after cleaning the dirt from them it looks like a trip to the machine shop and a serious cleaning is needed. Maybe even a light re-surfacing. Nothing was oiled or bagged up for storage. The intake looks great and from some quick research I'm thinking that the heads are '63. The intake and heads have the same 441504070 number stamped into them. So maybe they are from the same engine originally? I'm not sure if Chrysler used a partial VIN in the early 60's. Hopefully somebody here will know!
imagejpeg_0_8.jpg
imagejpeg_0_7.jpg
imagejpeg_1_2.jpg
imagejpeg_0_6.jpg
imagejpeg_0_5.jpg
imagejpeg_0_4.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg
20160820_111257.jpg

Update. She finally named her prices on stuff and we managed to purchase the car. I plan on posting a few for sale ads to help her get the parts sold. I'm not sure what drivetrain will make its way into the car but it won't be a 1/4 mile only car. It'll be a driver with a mild big block most likely. It is an original 340 4 speed car but its been modified too far too worry about originality.
IMAG1209.jpg
IMAG1207.jpg
IMAG1210.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back