• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on moving up to a 26" aluminum radiator in a 318 car.

Bart K

69 Coronet more door.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
You may ask "why would someone want to do that". The simple reason is that I live in southern Arizona and much of the summer it is 100 degrees plus, and I want to drive my car whenever I feel like it. I did read through several other threads and did not find what I was looking for. I am looking at the Champion 26 in aluminum radiator. Has anyone used this in a 318 car and can give me some advice? The Champion part # that is close to what I have is 1635, but that is only 22 in. If I go to 26 in, then Champion would have to move one of the flanges for me (part #s 374 or 375) and if they do that for me, then I would not be able to return the radiator. Also, Champion suggests an electric fan, but I would rather use a clutch fan and a shroud.

The short story is, does anyone know where I can get a 26 in radiator with the flanges and connectors for the trans cooling lines in the right place that would also accept a shroud without major modifications.

Thanks in advance!!!

Have I posted this in the wrong forum? Can someone suggest a better forum?

I have used two of Champion's 26 inch radiators in my 67 Coronet. I have a passenger top/driver bottom I'm not using any more. I switched to a driver top/passenger bottom for my Magnum swap. What kind of car is this going into? I can make you a deal on mine, I don't need a spare.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. This is going in to a 69 Coronet with a 318. The current radiator has both hose connections on the driver's side. This is what I have ordered and I will see if it all works out and report back. These items are from Classic Industries.

FL5718OEM STYLE FAN BLADE-18"

MB2357A66-69 B-BODY ALUM RADIATOR
This item is from Mancini Racing.
Radiator Fan Shroud: MOPP2785434

Again, the reason for moving from an 18" copper core radiator to a 26" aluminum radiator is that I live in southeastern Arizona. For most of the summer we are 100 degrees plus every day, other months 90 degrees plus is not uncommon. I do not want to be that guy on the side of the road with his hood up and steam rolling out of his classic Mopar!

I ran a 26in in my 68 charger with a 318 for as long as I can remember without issue. I live in Houston.

The parts I bought mentioned above came in, so in a week or so, I will let you all know if it fit in case someone else is looking to do this upgrade on their small block car.

I just installed a 26" Champion into my Roadrunner that had a 318 24" radiator previously. I had to drill a couple of new holes to mount it, but it went in just fine.

I would think the bigger issue for you would be how big is your radiator opening? If the opening is just for a 22" radiator, then those extra four inches aren't going to be all that useful because there will be no air flowing through them to get you the extra cooling. You would also need to open up the opening to match the size of the radiator.

Also, I have two OEM 26" radiator shrouds, one for a B body and one for a C, and neither of them fit the Champion.

I'm assuming you have A/C? Have you looked into the OEM 26" radiator?

Auto Transport Service
Back