• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for matching numbers

But it might have 68 motor in it.....not sure yet.
May as well check the pad under the distributor, and then we'll all know , what you have, and quite possibly if it's the original engine.

May as well check the pad under the distributor, and then we'll all know , what you have, and quite possibly if it's the original engine.
Do you have to remove the distributor to see this ? I checked for the clear area (pad?) on the motor just in front of where it goes into the motor but can
see no numbers/letters there, just the orange paint...unless the figures are "fine" and they are filled with paint? Do you have a picture of this by any chance ??
Tks,
Bob32268

Do you have to remove the distributor to see this ? POSSIBLY ...filled with paint? COULD BE picture of this by any chance ?? EXAMPLE
ID_Pad.jpg

If there's nothing stamped on the pad, or maybe just a "WT" for 'water test', that adds to the likelihood it is a replacement engine block. You might need to scrape the paint.

Last edited:
View attachment 1537781

If there's nothing stamped on the pad, or maybe just a "WT" for 'water test', that adds to the likelihood it is a replacement engine block. You might need to scrape the paint.
I had to do some cleaning and paint removal to see the numbers on the pad:

D 383

3 6 2
rest of pad blank
So this would mean that motor was made March 6th on the second shift.... in 1968
Also, my son has a body shop locally and they have a 69 Super Bee with motor out of the car,
I checked the distributor pad...it has the E 383, then the date and an "R" below the date...any idea what the "R" means ?

Tks,
Bob32268

...the "R" means ?
Correct on your engine.
On the other engine, "R" is for regular gas. Not a Superbee engine, which would be an "HP". VIN should be stamped on that being E/'69. That engine was most likely a two barrel as built. Some higher compression engines can have just a "P" - which indicates to use premium gas. With "HP", the premium gas is somewhat implied - usually ~10:1 CR. Other engines have a pad or location different from the 383 where you find these stampings.

D 383

3 6 2
rest of pad blank
So this would mean that motor was made March 6th on the second shift.... in 1968
Also, my son has a body shop locally and they have a 69 Super Bee with motor out of the car,
I checked the distributor pad...it has the E 383, then the date and an "R" below the date...any idea what the "R" means ?

Tks,
Bob32268
Got to the bottom of it :thumbsup:

Correct on your engine.
On the other engine, "R" is for regular gas. Not a Superbee engine, which would be an "HP". VIN should be stamped on that being E/'69. That engine was most likely a two barrel as built. Some higher compression engines can have just a "P" - which indicates to use premium gas. With "HP", the premium gas is somewhat implied - usually ~10:1 CR. Other engines have a pad or location different from the 383 where you find these stampings.
Thanks Mark for the excellent information.
Tks,
Bob32268

D 383

3 6 2
rest of pad blank
Good! Now, look for a VIN at the back of the block.

Good! Now, look for a VIN at the back of the block.
Will do.....you just about have to get yourself into the engine compartment to see way back there and all the A/C equipment doesn't make
things easier !
Tks,
Bob32268
When each plant started started stamping it during the year seems to vary.

IF it is there, at the back of the block near the oil sending unit.

View attachment 1537520
I crawled up into my engine compartment to look for the numbers as in the picture that you posted.... couldn't see any (unless they are light and filled in with paint).....is there
any other places where the vin would have been stamped on a 1968?
Thanks,
Bob32268

Will do.....you just about have to get yourself into the engine compartment to see way back there and all the A/C equipment doesn't make
things easier !
Tks,
Bob32268

I crawled up into my engine compartment to look for the numbers as in the picture that you posted.... couldn't see any (unless they are light and filled in with paint).....is there
any other places where the vin would have been stamped on a 1968?
Thanks,
Bob32268

Not a Superbee engine, which would be an "HP". VIN should be stamped on that being E/'69. That engine was most likely a two barrel as built. Some higher compression engines can have just a "P" - which indicates to use premium gas. With "HP", the premium gas is somewhat implied - usually ~10:1 CR. Other engines have a pad or location different from the 383 where you find these stampings.

As '69 Super Bees with A/C got the non HP 330 horse assembly, we don't know enough yet to determine the actual application. A non HP stamped block very well could be the original engine. Seeing the VIN on the 69 block and comparing it to the dash VIN would really help.

...A/C got the non HP 330 horse... ...comparing...VIN... would really help.
Concur. Throw A/C in the mix and we have Superbees and Roadrunners without the "Magnum (Superbee)/Roadrunner engine" such as it has been called (cam/cleaner/dual ex, etc).
I wouldn't think it could be original, though - all the '69 4-bbl 383s were 10:1 and premium; only the 2-bbls were 9.2:1 and regular as far as I know. I'm not aware of any '69 Roadrunner or Superbee that came with any 2 bbl?

What color is the engine?
Wouldn't a magnum (hp) engine be hemi orange, an A/C engine turquoise?

Wouldn't a magnum (hp) engine be hemi orange, an A/C engine turquoise?
I believe that's correct. And the small blocks were red. (edit - the '69 340 was Turq.) But there could always be a repaint - the VIN comparison is the definitive "test" whether original or replaced & no engine VIN = warranty/OTC block to me.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back