• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for matching numbers

bob32268

Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
On a 69 Charger, 383 engine with auto trans; where would the numbers be located to see if the car has it's original motor and trans ?
Tks,
Bob32268

I found a large casting number on the pass. side rear of block reading "248813012" with an "LL" underneath the numbers. Does anyone know what this means ?
Tls,
Bob32268

Last edited:
I'm not sure on the trans, but it can be done. I checked the one in my 69 rr and it was original. Vin stamped above the pan rail?
The engine is easy. There is a pad just above the oilpan rail (don't remember which side right now, check both) with a partial Vin,(last eight of thirteen) or maybe the full Vin on an early 69 build. Last six digits match the vin, original. They don't? It isn't.

Both on passenger's side.
TransVIN.jpg
EngineVIN.jpg

I couldn't find the numbers on the block anywhere so far. But, on the pass side rear of block there are large casting numbers, "248813012" with a "LL" underneath the numbers. Does anyone know what these numbers mean ?

Did you find the pad on the block that Mark Levi pointed out? If its blank, it's likely a replacement block.

I couldn't find the numbers on the block anywhere so far. But, on the pass side rear of block there are large casting numbers, "248813012" with a "LL" underneath the numbers. Does anyone know what these numbers mean ?
Not much. Basic 383 block numbers.
LL means lowdeck, large bore.

The pad at the base of the distributor/ head area is what you should start with. If you want to know what you have there.

That is the casting part number of the block. There should also be another casting number set on the opposite side of the block from those, it will be the casting date. Then, as mentioned above, there is a pad underneath the distributor hole with some stampings, for 1969 it will have an E as the year, and the displacement, so it would read E383. There will also be the assembly month and day stamped there, something like 11 22 or such the like. There may also be some symbols stamped there, which mean various things like undersized bearings or bores, and HP for the high performance models or other such markings. Then as mentioned, the lower pan rail pad should have the year, plant, and sequential build number.

Did you find the pad on the block that Mark Levi pointed out? If its blank, it's likely a replacement block.
No, I couldn't find the pad anywhere on pass side, I even checked the driver side, nothing there..

No, I couldn't find the pad anywhere on pass side, I even checked the driver side, nothing there..
The older blocks didn't have a pad on the oil rail.
Look at the pad under the distributor.

...if the pad that mark Levi pointed out isn't even there.... as Ramcharger said, it's an earlier block (68 or older didn't have that pad), and therefore NOT a numbers matching engine.

...if the pad that mark Levi pointed out isn't even there.... as Ramcharger said, it's an earlier block (68 or older didn't have that pad), and therefore NOT a numbers matching engine.
If it is a 68 block then where would the Vin number be located ? Or, didn't they put the numbers on until 1969 at the earliest ?

Vins started appearing some time in 68. They would be found on the back of the block,, at the trans mounting face, behind the driver's side cylinder head (if memory serves). The trans (if auto) would be stamped the same place.
Prior to the Vin being stamped on the block, it was not possible to PROVE matching numbers, only correct casting dates to imply the original engine.
Early production 69s are rumored to have the full Vin on the pad discussed previously. Later cars only had year, plant, and six Vin numbers.
So, a Vin stamp on a lynch road 69 block would show 9A123456., 9 the year, A for lynch road. I don't know off the top of my head what plant built Chargers in 69.

Last edited:
I was going to say if it was an early 69 model car but built in 68 try to look at the edge of the block at the top where the transmission bolts up to it I have seen the vin on the transmission and the block right across from each other in the same place This is very close to where the oil pressure sender mounts on the back edge of the engine is where to look

Vins started appearing some time in 68. They would be found on the back of the block,, at the trans mounting face, behind the driver's side cylinder head (if memory serves). The trans (if auto) would be stamped the same place.
Prior to the Vin being stamped on the block, it was not possible to PROVE matching numbers, only correct casting dates to imply the original engine.
Early production 69s are rumored to have the full Vin on the pad discussed previously. Later cars only had year, plant, and six Vin numbers.
So, a Vin stamp on a lynch road 69 block would show 9A123456., 9 the year, A for lynch road. I don't know off the top of my head what plant built Chargers in 69.
Mine was buit in St. Louis...

If it is a 68 block then where would the Vin number be located ?

When each plant started started stamping it during the year seems to vary.

IF it is there, at the back of the block near the oil sending unit.

68_Bellhousing_VIN_400.jpg

Last edited:

It's not a rumor. The full 13 digit VIN was used until January, 1969. The transition to the 8 digit VIN stamping varies by plant. Some plants stopped earlier than others.

Auto Transport Service
Back