• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for my dads old car.

Local time
4:58 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a 1973 roadrunner. My profile pic is the car. My father was the original owner, sold the car in 1979 (ish) in New Jersey. I have the VIN number but can't seem to find any ways to search for it. I would love to buy his car back for him. Any help would be great. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi. Well this looks like your first post, so Welcome! Good luck finding the car. You could always post the vin here, and some more pictures, plus a description (drivetrain, any unusual options...)

Welcome. Good luck. Don't get your hopes up.

Welcome and yes some details like when and where sold etc would help. Please head over to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself.

You could also make said pic your avatar so it's readily visible on every post and post up the full size images in this thread. What color is that Petty blue or some kind of turquoise? I'd like to see some more pics of it .. looks cool

image.php

I've been doing most searching from my phone, but will get some computer time asap to post more. I'm trying to do all of this without my dad's knowledge. But I will add as much info ad I have and as I find all of the old photos. I've been looking for the window sticker, which I know he still had somewhere. Thank you for your help.

RM21H3R189018

- - - Updated - - -

Update** 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner, Petty Blue w/ white interior. Engine 340 cu. in. with Auto trans. VIN# RM21A3R189018. Car was sold to a student of his in 1979 in Franklin High School, Franklin, NJ

Last edited:
See if NJ DMV will do a VIN search for you. Some states will for a small fee. I did this in CA and found 5 previous owners until the car was sold out of state. Good luck with your search.

ditto on Coloradodaves' idea. I did this with a 52 ford f-1 and found the truck around the corner from me. Also PO sold it to my friend then I bought it. round-a-bout way to say that this procedure works....Glad you are here.

NJ won't give out personal info, and in this state it's a 4th degree crime to contact the owner if I receive the info from them. ugh
See if NJ DMV will do a VIN search for you. Some states will for a small fee. I did this in CA and found 5 previous owners until the car was sold out of state. Good luck with your search.

You're going to need some serious Serendipity action...

Serendipity-192x300.jpg

to find that car. On the plus side, you stand a better chance of finding your Dad's car than that guy has of getting $15k for that 73 Road Runner. :)

I would suggest hitting up all the classic car events you can find and talking to the Mopar guys there. We tend to know what cars are out running around, sitting in yards, and often know a guy who knows a guy who might know something about what happened to the car.

I know It's gonna be difficult, but I figured it would be worth a shot. I'm gonna post on all the mopar and roadrunner sites I can find, and since I already go to cruise nights and classic car shows with my own car, I'm beginning to get to know people. I appreciate everyone's help as well as the good lucks. Fingers crossed!!!
You're going to need some serious Serendipity action...

Serendipity-192x300.jpg

to find that car. On the plus side, you stand a better chance of finding your Dad's car than that guy has of getting $15k for that 73 Road Runner. :)

I would suggest hitting up all the classic car events you can find and talking to the Mopar guys there. We tend to know what cars are out running around, sitting in yards, and often know a guy who knows a guy who might know something about what happened to the car.

Good luck with your search! Its hard to find one like this and hope this one turns out good for you... Welcome aboard bud!!!

I would think thats a pretty unique color combo. Good luck with the search!

Auto Transport Service
Back