• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for pictures 1970 RR Exhaust Hangers

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
I have converted my single exhaust to a duel on my 1970 Sport Satellite. I want to upgrade to factory hangers and exhaust tips. I am not sure about alignment of the exhaust in reference to the frame and how a and where the hangers are located precisely.

Also how far the tail pipes protrude from the rear if at all.

I do see a threaded hole on the rear most bottom lip but I think thats too far back for the hager.

Thanks in advance!
MF

The factory hangers are bolted on the unibody frame rail. The tips slide back through the rectangular openings in the hangers.

I read your signature. The Sport Satellite was essentially a GTX without a 440. Upscale trim features, but without the "insurance" premium tacked onto the performance cars of the era with their performance engines. And, you could order a 383 if you so chose to back then.

I read your signature. The Sport Satellite was essentially a GTX without a 440. Upscale trim features, but without the "insurance" premium tacked onto the performance cars of the era with their performance engines. And, you could order a 383 if you so chose to back then.
Yes! It’s an amazing difference. Mine had a SBM 318 and now it’s got a period 340 as it should have in 1970!

This is what my FSM has. It’s just not clear which hole is used as there are several and one at least has a threaded nut inside. A few pictures would be very instructive.

IMG_0364.jpeg

IMG_0363.jpeg

I don't know how much clearer you need to see. Your diagram clearly indicates what I just told you. The bracket tab goes into the slot and it's bolted with the one bolt. The tip slides back into the rectangular opening of the rubber inside the bracket.

I don't know how much clearer you need to see. Your diagram clearly indicates what I just told you. The bracket tab goes into the slot and it's bolted with the one bolt. The tip slides back into the rectangular opening of the rubber inside the bracket.
I am not very smart. I have 3 holes to choose from and no dimensions to work with. But after scraping the 50 years of dirt and undercoating off and what you said and the pictures in the FSM it’s become clear. It looks like its the third set of holes with the slot above. It was so gummed up the hole didn’t show that it had threads.
Thanks for responding.
MF

IMG_0365.jpeg

I am not very smart. I have 3 holes to choose from and no dimensions to work with. But after scraping the 50 years of dirt and undercoating off and what you said and the pictures in the FSM it’s become clear. It looks like its the third set of holes with the slot above. It was so gummed up the hole didn’t show that it had threads.
Thanks for responding.
MF

View attachment 1565965
I can't tell you how many times I've uttered the word "duh" after someone explained a simple thing to me ! Anyway, now you got it. Do you have the 2 supports and tips yet ? Don't forget to get tips that match the diameter of your pipes. Is that your exhaust tailpipe in the pic ? If so, mount the support and position the tip as if it were back in the slot, so you can mark the cut on the pipe so the tip will slide back on the pipe with a couple inches of the tailpipe inside the tip.

Thanks so much Charles. I think I am good to go. The hanger location the bracket on the tip and the actual hanger should set the set back on the tips. They will be where they will be. Were these tips welded on?
I tacked mine on with my mig. I installed a pypes 2 1/2" system a dozen years ago on my car, althoug I had to do some custom cutting/fitting/welding on their setup, it was not really accurate.

I tacked mine on with my mig. I installed a pypes 2 1/2" system a dozen years ago on my car, althoug I had to do some custom cutting/fitting/welding on their setup, it was not really accurate.
Yeah I was thinking at a minimum they need to be tacked. Ill flange the fittings tight then use my mig and get a few tacks in.

Photo of there the hangar goes, 3rd hole in. See where no under coating is? First hole is threaded for bumper bracket bolt.

The hangar goes inboard of the frame rail.

AB9ACB45-6FEB-4C24-8452-F7E3B61B43FE.jpeg

B485AA28-2392-42F1-B50F-2E132947540A.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back