• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to paint this color on my 70..

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I believe this is 999 special livery something close to or is Omaha Orange or Hugger Orange? Anyone know what this is? VitaminC is to dark. I want this tone which is lighter. Also looking for suggestions on what a decent paint would be that isn’t ridiculously expensive.
Thanks, MF

1679097970560.png

Omaha orange (99 code in 69) was discontinued about half way thru the 69 build run.
So if that 70 is originally Omaha orange is would have to be a special order. But that color was used extensively on industrial trucks so it was available. You can find the mix if you check the 69 color charts (probably).

And I think it is the same as hugger orange on a Chevy or Pontiac.

Omaha orange (99 code in 69) was discontinued about half way thru the 69 build run.
So if that 70 is originally Omaha orange is would have to be a special order. But that color was used extensively on industrial trucks so it was available. You can find the mix if you check the 69 color charts (probably).

Funny they seemed to have enough leftover to just do my car in 1970 hahahahha.

if that is a non-metallic color you can use single stage and prob save some money...... you can sand and buff it like clear, and it's actually correct

The Mopar oranges are distinctly different than the GM hugger orange. I thought I had some photos of Hugger orange but I must have deleted them.

The thing is, looking at colors on a PC or in photos is pointless. I can show you ten photos I took of the same car in a span of 5 minutes and none really do the color justice.

As far as I can tell back in the 69/70 era there were three distinct oranges (not including "burnt orange") but depending on whether the car was a Dodge or Plymouth the names changed. The '69 was just a pure orange - 999 code - paint code 60436. In '70 it was called "vitamin C" and was metallic orange. There was a third "special order" Bengal Orange that was only done on 50 Chargers. This may have been "Omaha orange". I had some samples mixed up and did some spray outs for comparison but by the time I got them done there was no car to compare them to. I have the Omaha code somewhere.

If you are looking to save money on your car don’t do it on any of the paint or the painting supplies.

think over how much work it has been, and how much work to do it over again.

If you are looking to save money on your car don’t do it on any of the paint or the painting supplies.

think over how much work it has been, and how much work to do it over again.
That begs the question (and I was going to do this in a separate post) what is the difference between low mid and high tier base coats. I’ve been told by some very experienced painters not to use cheap clears but as for base coat’s especially simple solids you can use a lower cost paint from any reputable producer. The clear is the most critical wrt UV stabilizers, durability and clarity.
I don’t really know as I have painted only 2 cars previously about 10 years apart and various panels.

Comments?

The Mopar oranges are distinctly different than the GM hugger orange. I thought I had some photos of Hugger orange but I must have deleted them.

The thing is, looking at colors on a PC or in photos is pointless. I can show you ten photos I took of the same car in a span of 5 minutes and none really do the color justice.

As far as I can tell back in the 69/70 era there were three distinct oranges (not including "burnt orange") but depending on whether the car was a Dodge or Plymouth the names changed. The '69 was just a pure orange - 999 code - paint code 60436. In '70 it was called "vitamin C" and was metallic orange. There was a third "special order" Bengal Orange that was only done on 50 Chargers. This may have been "Omaha orange". I had some samples mixed up and did some spray outs for comparison but by the time I got them done there was no car to compare them to. I have the Omaha code somewhere.
I agree colors are affected by lighting and angles. However I keep being attracted to the same tint hue of Orange see my last picture above. I just need help getting there. I wish I could get real paint chips and a decent recommendation of base coat mfg.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the car in that photo has been done in a factory '70 orange. I believe Code K2, Vitamin C orange (metallic), #2201 (see attached).

Actual product brand is usually left to whoever is painting the car or what's available in your area. My own car is in the shop soon to be painted and the guy doing it uses only Matrix products and they offer both standard and custom colors as well as single stage and base/clear options.

Getting a sample to spray out is usually not a problem from any paint supplier. In my area the price is usually around $60 but you'll also need the appropriate additives as well.

1970-plymouth-pc.jpg

Couple items..

final primer color will drastically effect the tint on the base coat or single stage.
I would take a panel and tape off separate areas and use different colored primers in each one.
put the tinted base or SS over each and see which you like best before priming and painting the entire car.

fwiw just about all liquids have gone up 50%-70% since COVID happened.
And as mentioned above - DO NOT CHEAP OUT on them.
The better products do a superior job with tinting to match production colors as well as durability (UV etc..)

PPG did MOPAR paints and match well.
DuPont (Axalta Coating Systems/ChromaBase) did all GM and and match well.
these two cross well between car manufacturers from the 60's and 70's

its probably around $2500+ at least, on liquid costs to do a complete car now. This includes, primers, base/clear (or SS), reducers, hardeners, sealer (epoxy).
Buffing/polishing compounds and wet sandpaper.

final primer color will drastically effect the tint on the base coat or single stage.
I would take a panel and tape off separate areas and use different colored primers in each one.
put the tinted base or SS over each and see which you like best before priming and painting the entire car.
In most cases the paint manufacturer will recommend the primer shade or base to achieve the final color. Buying a bunch of different bases to do a bunch of spray outs is a ridiculously expensive proposition for a back yard painter.

In most cases paint suppliers have local reps - not just the guys working the counter. These guys have a vast knowledge about the products, the methods of application and the equipment. Their job is to make sure the end user's problems are solved and they continue to use their products. It wouldn't hurt to track one of those guys down and get their opinion. Who knows, they might even give you a color sample free of charge - mine did.

in my opinion; if the primer changes the color, there isn't enough color over the primer....... modern basecoats are very transparent, and some require a lot of passes to achieve coverage..... I use a coverage card taped to the car and when you cannot see through to the black and white you're covered. if the color of the primer mattered, the card would still be checkered no matter how much base is over it, but this isn't the case..... the most transparent recent color I sprayed was top banana, hemi orange was a bitch also; sublime and plum crazy covered pretty good

81ualEdfc3L.jpg

440green.jpg
440purple.jpg
440yellow.jpg

IMG_0757.JPG

Last edited:
Charger 500 is Omaha Orange per
1969 Dodge Hemi Charger 500

Outdoors in Florida
1969-dodge-hemi-charger-500-8.jpg

Porsche is Signal Orange (outdoors in California)
DSC_00781313105839.jpg

RR is from OP
(Indoor lighting I believe). Sure is glossy. Nice color.
1679097970560.png

Lighting sure does make a difference!

Auto Transport Service
Back