• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose Torsion Bar - 69 GTX

Jack Luckhowec

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Mopar Gurus;

I am assembling my fully rebuilt front suspension. I installed the original 780 / 781 torsion bars. The pass side (780) is nice and tight; the driver side is quite loose in the LCA; see attached. Seems to be ~ .015" clearance between the torsion bar and the LCA hub.

Is this acceptable?? How can i determine which component is worn??

Thanks,

Jack

PXL_20220101_193937105_Moment.jpg

Are you sure it's not just further in so the clearance is the round bar against the hex socket?

Also, take a dead blow hammer(Plastic) and tap the torsion bars forward to fully seat them.
You may have paint tightening up the one bar.
Make sure you have the retainer clips in the crossmember too after fully seating the bars.
Hr20

I would make sure it’s fully seated but once it’s loaded up and sitting on the suspension under torsion, I don’t think a few thousands of clearance is going to matter.

Thanks all for your replies!!
I can confirm the bar is fully seated with the retaining clip installed in the back. Not sure what else to do??

Does anyone have the correct dimensions for the hex on the bar and in the LCA??

Jack

Thanks all for your replies!!
I can confirm the bar is fully seated with the retaining clip installed in the back. Not sure what else to do??

Does anyone have the correct dimensions for the hex on the bar and in the LCA??

Jack
Just measured a set of bars, and they are 1.25" across the flats. The flats in the lower control arms are maybe couple thousand bigger.

Hmm: I don't like the idea, it will only wear more.

Not sure if it makes a difference in size but those bars are Lefts and Rights. Did you reverse them by accident?

I have encountered the same issue on the front end I am rebuilding and not sure how much slop is normal. Bars are clocked correctly, on correct sides, and totally seated. Vehicle supported by frame on jackstands, so front end is dangling. Adjusting bolt lightly touching torsion adjuster flag, I can move suspension up and down and the torsion bar socket rotates a bit on the bar, rear socket is solid so bar does not rotate. Probably get about and inch of up and down movement at the outside edge of lower control arm, so maybe 1/4 movement at socket/bar interface. I'm assuming this is normal??

Auto Transport Service
Back