• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower body stripe

Teeque

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
Have 1969 gtx, does anybody out there know the measurement for the lower pinstripe from the blackout paint down. It's a red pinstripe if that makes a difference from the white? Seen in some photos and books looks like the different colors have different measurements. Called graphic company's they sell the kits but don't have the measurements. Thanks.

My buddy has a 1969 GTX, maybe, I can ask him.

welcome to FBBO

My good buddies GTX, looked like this, before COVID.
IMG_7816.JPG

Welcome from Missouri!!

Here is what I found, from a 1969 GTX resto guide, word for word:
1969 GTX sport striping:
The lower portion of the car was painted 30deg gloss black, thus eliminating the need for rocker moldings.
JUST above, this black accent a thin white or red tape, stripe ran the car's entire length.
Originally this stripe was supplied to Plymouth as one long roll of 3M reflective tape, which had to be cut to fit the body panels.
Special moldings were routed along the car's side and just above the tape stripe. -----END

From the photos I have seen, and from that info, it looks like the bottom edge of the tape stripe (in your case red)is even with the top edge of the BLACK side stripe(painted one).
So no space or body color is seen in-between the tape and painted stripe.
There is a small space between the CHROME body molding to tape stripe, that the cars body color shows threw.

Hope that helps.

Looks like every year(from 68-70 at least) had unique stripes only used that year.
This info again is from the Paul Herd resto guide.
1968 sport stripes are, twin stripes located one inch from lower door crease and come in 5 colors: red, white, blue, green and black.

They changed in 1969 to the style you have, lower body black out, with red or white, tape stripe on top of body side black out, just under the side body (chrome)molding.

1970 was twin stripes again, but this time routed around cars belt line, and colors were black, white, and gold.

Auto Transport Service
Back