• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Pivot Shaft Issues

Ok so I got the shafts and bushings from PST!! Very nice parts the old pin diameter measured a heavy .807 the new pin is .005 difference measured a heavy .812 bushings went on very tight compared to old obviously. No spinning what so ever also was just curious of torque so I tightened them the press fit into k member very nice the old ones just push in also I was able to get the FSA spec of 130 Ft pounds with no problems and bushing rubber flexing like its supposed to when loaded of course I loosened them after and removed them from the k member and will tighten once they are loaded on ground at normal ride height so please don’t panic lol.
Thanks for all your the help on here awesome sight!!! Mopar Rules!!!

View attachment 597987
Ahhhh! Now you're talking my language! I'm a Machinist, so numbers mean EVERYTHING!
Thanks to everyone who educated me on this obscure part that does alot!

To add a little side track to this story, we are determined to get a positive lock with the LCA on the pivot shaft.
But this is not the case if you go for the Poly version bushing, this is a 2 piece that locks on the individual component, but is a loose slide fit between the individual bushings, with in some cases is greasable.

Some say that is the reason to stay away from Poly bushings for the LCA.

That is why the front suspension components are not tightened until it is on full running weight. If you tighten at one extreme and then sit the car on its' weight you have already stressed the rubber components. Tighten at ride height and you still have ample up/down movement within the tolerance of the bushing.
I have read several comments on this site, as well as read the manual. I can't physically do the work. I got a friend to rebuild my front end yesterday. I've known him for about 38 years and he was a mechanic ever since we met. I mentioned to him about tightening those nuts after the weight was on. There was a couple problems with parts seized and the job took longer than I think either of us expected. Anyway, when he got the wheels back on and to the ground, I questioned him about tightening those bolts and he said he already got them. Now what? Can I get the car back on a lift, loosen the nuts, then set it back on the ground and tighten them, or is it a done deal.

Those pins are tapered so once the nuts have been tightened the pins have seated in the k-member. Loosening the nuts won't do the trick, you'll have to tap the pins loose in the K then go through the process.

Would I go to to all that trouble? Probably not. If everything is new there's a good chance the rubber bushings will rotate on the pins to where they should be. If these were old parts where the pins have rusted and seized into the bushings then I'd say yeah, go to the trouble.

I bounced the corners of the front bumper and I heard a pop on the right side. Only the first time and just the right. New bushings and pivots, so maybe?

Auto Transport Service
Back