• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arms - no sway bar mounts

I did check the K-frame for sway bar bracket mounting holes and they are there.
The Coronet R/T in my avatar had the police brake package. 11" Drums but not self adjusting. Car drove and stopped just fine.
If I had the numbers matching engine and transmission then I would definitely go back all original. I still may since it was a nice package right from the factory and it is in my opinion worth restoring at least close to original.

I'm not sure if the fender tag would call out a sway bar - I'm the second owner of my Charger, no sway bar code on the tag, but it's in the same place it always was, next to the drums.

K frame is dated too....Have you checked that?

I’ve got manual drums on my 68 coronet RT.
They work perfectly fine. As long as you don’t overheat them, you’ll be fine.

Once in awhile I get some “advice” from some “expert” that says I NEED to get converted to disc brakes.

No need. I’ll keep my bias ply tires and manual drums. :thumbsup:

I’ve got manual drums on my 68 coronet RT.
They work perfectly fine. As long as you don’t overheat them, you’ll be fine.

Once in awhile I get some “advice” from some “expert” that says I NEED to get converted to disc brakes.

No need. I’ll keep my bias ply tires and manual drums. :thumbsup:
One thing to note.....If you can find the older asbestos brake shoe makes a massive difference and eliminated that "heat" issue....

FYI national Moparts in Canada has plenty of NOS sets but they are the Canadian boxed version. Same shoe but not 100% OE correct. The key is they are the asbestos version. Shipping is cheap through them even though they are in Canada.....

I found a number on the K-frame but it doesn't match anything in my 1968 Parts Index.
The number is MK-37-1.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG

Look in the front right above where the brace to the front grille support attaches. Should be a 3 digit code iirc.

Apparently the sway bar mounts for the LCAs are available somewhere as a friend restoring an original 69 Hemi RR had non-original LCAs installed and he purchased the brackets and had them welded on.

Apparently the sway bar mounts for the LCAs are available somewhere as a friend restoring an original 69 Hemi RR had non-original LCAs installed and he purchased the brackets and had them welded on.

Please ask him where he purchased them. This may be a good option for me as well.

i'll check with him today.

I heard back from him and he believes it was Hotchkiss Suspension.

I have a pair of original lower arms with the sway bar mounts, one arm is bent but the mount is good so you could remove the sway mount for your arm. PM me if interested

Placed the order yesterday. $61.15 shipped to my door.
If they don't come with placement information I will need so help getting them in the proper position.

Okay, it appears that my lower control arms had the sway bar mounts removed. You can still see the upper portion of the bracket surround the hole and welded to the top of the LCA.
Lower Control Arm welds.JPG
Lower Control Arms Blasted.JPG

This leads me to believe they installed the disc brakes wrong (on the front) and they wouldn't clear the sway bar. So my next question is, can the steering knuckles be swapped from side to side in order to put the calipers toward the rear?
IMGP0032.JPG

The only identifying marks I can find are the raised triangles. The lower ball joints look like they would center under the upper okay.
Anyone know if they can be reversed?

Have they got part numbers on them. If you can find those out you may be able to tell which is right and left?
Perhaps if you swap to the back you might just be putting them back where they came from originally. I am referring to the stub axles not the brakes.
The original calipers are easy to source.

Auto Transport Service
Back