• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lubing the speedo cable

Car #4

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I’m putting a new speedometer cable in the Charger. Should I pull the cable out of the sheath and lube it? I’m told they don’t come lubed. What would I use? Motor oil, gear oil, grease, brake grease?

Get a little bottle of Lock-Ease for lubricating locks. It has graphite in it and will work great!

When I needed to lube my cable, I just poured some tranny fluid in one end, hung it up to let it leach down to the rest of the cable and leak out the other end. YMMV Good Luck

If anything, white lithium grease. Very sparingly.
But only out of a tube, not the spray kind that sets up like dried oatmeal. I’ve used Kabel Ease, dry graphite, Tri Flow, and a spray anti-sieze lubricant marketed for use in auto trans valve body for assembly.

On an old cable pull out the center and clean it off first befor lubricating. I like brake cleaner on a lint free rag.

The locksmith I frequent now recommends tri-flow and advises to stop using graphite as hardens up over time.

Have never lubed a brand new cable, aircraft tach or car speedo and have never had either "jumping".

If I do have to lube a cable I use gun oil.. I put that **** on everything that is supposed to move now!

Auto Transport Service
Back