• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty grease

peabodyracin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I'm heading out of town this coming weekend with my car trailer in tow. Went to the local O'Reilly to pick up a couple tubes of this grease and they didn't have any. Figured it was just a coincidence. Went to a different auto supply house and a local ACE hardware. Nothing. The next day I looked online and found 3 or 4 places who showed having it. Drove to each one of them; nothing. One place did look it up and said they couldn't order it.

Everyone had the Lucas Red and Tacky, but that's apparently a Lithium based product and the X-Tra is a poly-urea product. I understand they're not compatible.

Went to the Lucas web site; still list the X-Tra. No mention of it being discontinued. Their site only points you to a retailer. I then started checking industrial supply houses. One did indicate stock was due in September sometime. Another said they'd take the order but the product would drop ship from the supplier but they didn't have a ship date. I hated to, but looked on Amazon. One place had 4 tubes offered, at more than twice the regular price.

Has anyone here run into this or know what the story is? I'm thinking of calling Lucas tomorrow. The last thing I'd like to do this week is take all 4 hubs apart and completely change out the grease used. I'd just done it last year when I replaced all the bearings as a precaution. I don't think I've put 1500 miles on the trailer since then.

Last edited:
Yes, a few months ago i was looking for Lucas marine grease. Same thing you ran into. Finally got a tube from walmart after looking for a month or two. Of course amazon had it at double or triple the price. Not sure why there is a shortage but there are shortages of everything i look for these days.

I tried to buy a tube of the Lucas green Xtra HD myself a couple days ago. I have it in my trailer wheel bearings, and am using it in the new front disc brakes on my 64 Fury. I opened my last tube, and had enough for the job, but just like to keep extra on hand. Advance Auto is completely out of stock here too. And, I see high prices online as well....

If it has Urea in it, think of the DEF and Urea fertilizer issues coming down the pike. Has Nitrogen in it. A large portion of Urea comes out of the Ukraine plus some here. Production is being curtailed and Ag is being told to just deal with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back