• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lug nuts left hand thread

sjmedine

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
does anyone know where I can get 1/2 X 20 long shaft lug
nuts with left hand threads. Bought a set of Weld racing
wheels off forum with lugs and caps, but my 69 has left hand
threds on driver side. I have checked all over, Jegs,Summit, Gorilla and McGuard. Any help would be appreciated, I need 10.

I think Macini racing still carries them, but I like 1969CoronetR/T's idea to switch them. Would make life easier in the future.

I had a hell of a time trying to get the wheel off until my Uncle informed me that the are left hand studs.

If you choose to switch the studs to RH thread, a word of caution. Do NOT try to press the old studs out. They are swaged and pressing them through will RUIN the hub.

The correct way to do this is to center punch the head of the stud and use progressively larger drill bits to remove the head of the stud. Once the head is off, you can use a drift and a hammer and simply pop the stud through the hole.

Note: The swaged studs were used to hold the brake drum in place. Once you install the new studs, unless you swage them, the drum will "float" on the hub. I have never had an issue with it on either my Satellite or my Road Runner.

Darn!
I5t screwed me up one day.
I go out to the superbee, remove the left rear wheel...or, should I say: attempted to remove it.
Ended up having to send the rim in for repair at Stockton wheel (before the passed away)
Yup, I forgot!

I have a ton of Left hand Lug nuts in a box they are normal size.

I'm pretty sure The Lug Nut King out of LA has them.

I found a set of lugs made by gorilla on Summit 10 rights 10 left about a month ago.. Pretty easy to find just looked them up and had them shipped with the new wheels...

I make my own cause down under we don't have the access to some of the places you guys in the states do. I take a similar 7/16" lug nut and drill (27/64") it out to take a 1/2' l/h/ tap and create my own. I do this cause the shank thickness on a 7/16' is the same external diameter as a 1/2' one so there is no compromise in safety.

Thanks guys, I found them at Lug Nut King in Ca. The guy there new exactly what
I was looking for and a great price compared to the ones you can buy at big auto
parts stores

Glad you found them. I got some at my local Pep Boys and also bought some at Mopar Carlisle. My L/F wheel still has the stock left hand studs. I changed the rear and they are all R/H now. Ron

If you choose to switch the studs to RH thread, a word of caution. Do NOT try to press the old studs out. They are swaged and pressing them through will RUIN the hub.

The correct way to do this is to center punch the head of the stud and use progressively larger drill bits to remove the head of the stud. Once the head is off, you can use a drift and a hammer and simply pop the stud through the hole.

Note: The swaged studs were used to hold the brake drum in place. Once you install the new studs, unless you swage them, the drum will "float" on the hub. I have never had an issue with it on either my Satellite or my Road Runner.

Really? Because I pressed mine out 3 years ago and have been driving it ever since. The drum centers on the hub center. I can now inspect the brake assy without removing the hub. The drum comes on and off just like the rear one now. I did the same to both sides to a '72 Dodge p/u...and drove it another 10 years. Maybe I was just lucky?

I was advised to not pound them out and my mechanic did just that without a single problem in the last five years.

NAPA has them. They may have to order them in, but they have them.

Really? Because I pressed mine out 3 years ago and have been driving it ever since. The drum centers on the hub center. I can now inspect the brake assy without removing the hub. The drum comes on and off just like the rear one now. I did the same to both sides to a '72 Dodge p/u...and drove it another 10 years. Maybe I was just lucky?
It's rare, but I saw a broken hub where the guy tried to pound out the swedged in studs. Good luck finding another hub if you are the unlucky one. I would cut the studs flush with the drum and drill them out just to be safe. JMO.

It's rare, but I saw a broken hub where the guy tried to pound out the swedged in studs. Good luck finding another hub if you are the unlucky one. I would cut the studs flush with the drum and drill them out just to be safe. JMO.

I used a press each time. I also had support directly around each stud (used a heavy piece of pipe...a large impact socket would probably work as well) as I pressed them out

Auto Transport Service
Back